CP Spaceball

T

The Asylum

you ever get bored at night and make a map

yeah thats what happened here

*ahem*

Space, the final frontier. These are the battles of Teams RED and BLU. Their continuing mission: To hit a ball into the other team's goal, and take a short break every five minutes; to boldly play ball where no ball has been played before!

spaceballa10006.jpg

Just like any other sports map, you're supposed to hit the ball into the other team's goal, look we've been here before we can skip this bit ok

spaceballa10000.jpg

So I figured if I'm gonna make this tactical and competitive, I'd better split it up into sections. This here is the middle section of the field. The ball is "served" through those doors in the middle, and you can also see the exits of the warp tunnels. "Warp tunnels," you ask?

spaceballa10003.jpg

In the team's end of the field, there's this tunnel in the wall, see. When players spawn, they are shot up through the tunnel in the floor.

spaceballa10007.jpg

See those lights on the floor? Those actually scroll. Stepping onto this one in particular will send you rocketing towards the middle section.

spaceballa10004.jpg

And there's the exit. These still images really dont do the scrolling textures justice.

spaceballa10005.jpg

Shot of the RED team's end. Those rectagles are actually glass panels. Good for cover and breaking up sightlines, horrible for trying to set up a campground.

spaceballa10002.jpg

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

right now I've got the UT99 thing goin on, with the Earth and Sun orbiting around the space station playing field.

As it is now, the game is divided into three five-minute periods, with a 30-second break in between them. This gives players a chance to strategize for the upcoming period. The team with the most goals at the end of the third period (or whoever reaches 10 goals first), wins. I'm still having a little trouble getting this mechanic to work right, but I should figure it out soon. I hope.

Also, I'm thinking of making this a melee-only deal. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going the melee only route, unless shit gets a little toooooo spammy

But anyway, moar screen

spaceballa1a0000.jpg

after failing to make a Sun that looked at least somewhat realistic, I decided to go full UT99 with the Earth and moon.

I would be saying right now that the first build is available, but pakrat and packbsp don't like the map for some reason, and bzipping in a bunch of custom textures seperately isn't something I'm too keen on.

h3r1n6

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 7, 2009
Whats the problem with pakrat/packbsp? I had a problem on a map that i couldn't open. Worked when I opened another map first, then opened the map that didn't.

T

The Asylum

The problem is just that, it won't open. pakrat stops dead after the initial log window, and packbsp chokes when checking for custom stuff. I've tried opening other maps (which all work fine) and reopening spaceball (still won't work) to no avail. I've got a fair amount of custom stuff in spaceball, but nowhere near some other gigantic custom maps out there (CTF Aerospace immediately springs to mind).

Could be a problem with optimization, but I doubt it. I've sucessfully pak'd stuff in maps a hell of a lot worse before.

T

The Asylum

GREAT SUCCESS!

I got Pakrat to (sort of) work finally, so we're all ready to give 'er a go.

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/157831

Space, the final frontier. These are the battles of Teams RED and BLU. Their continuing mission: To hit a ball into the other team's goal, and take a short break every five minutes; to boldly play ball where no ball has been played before!

Spaceball is intended to be an anti-Pipeball; that is to say, not a complete spamfest. Health an ammo are limited to just one locker at the very ends of the "field," and the ball is pretty heavy to boot too. We're operating on a first-to-ten goals system here, with three five-minute periods. In between each period, teams have 30 seconds to come up with new strategies before the carnage begins anew. If nobody's reached 10 goals at the end of the third period, the team with the most goals scored wins.

T

The Asylum

oh yeah i totally updated this lol

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=5043

No real huge changes, only the ball will respawn in the serving chute in the middle between periods, and being able to hoard the ball in the warp-speed tunnels has been fixed

The goals get a spiffy-upping
spaceballa20004.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

spaceballa20001.jpg

Score a goal, this pops up.

And if a player falls in?

spaceballa20002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

As if it wasn't totally apparent, I put exactly zero forethought and planning into this map beforehand. If you really want to know how this came to be, it went something like this:

1. I decide to try to make a scolling texture to see if I could get it to work
2. Said scrolling texture was a "red plasma line" against a dark red background
3. I suceed in getting it to scroll, and thought it would look cool in a space-themed map
4. ???
5. Spaceball

This was creativity at it's most absolute raw. Not just a rare, uncooked steak. More like a steak that's still attached to the cow that's still breathing. My complete lack of careful map design was especially apparent at the Joke Map Gameday, where most of the match was spent trying to get the ball out of the middle section.

So now I'm going to put a little more love into this dumb map of mine. Behold, a video of things to come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1Ymw2Fj8I&feature=youtu.be

T

The Asylum

Actually

I'd like to say that A3 is all ready to go, but Pakrat and PackBSP are having fits with the map again. Soooooooooo, while we wait, lets see the changes I'm making for A3

spaceballa30002.jpg

I've given the ball a glow that will appear behind walls, so it's easy to keep track of

spaceballa30006.jpg

The mid has been significantly opened up

Gameplay wise, we're running on a modified Medieval Mode, with non-melee Medieval Whitelist weapons being stripped. Also, the ball is much more floaty, so it'll be easier to knock around

Don't know what I'll do about the choking with the file-packing apps, but I'll figure something out.