Source SDK not working

Banhammer0

L1: Registered
May 11, 2013
Hey guys, I need help. :(

Ever since the Steampipe launch, the Team Fortress 2 Source SDK has not been working. As in, Half Life 2 and other engines work, but the TF2 hammer editor does not work.

When I make a basic map, (A cube with a player in it and a light, even) and then compile it, it says this message.

"Windows reported the error:
Cannot find the file specified"

Now, I had this error before very rarely when I moved maps from their original location. But now, it pops up every single time and nothing works anymore.

I tried everything. Refreshing SDK Content, reinstalling Source SDK... Even deleting the sdk_content folder! Nothing works! (note refreshing sdk content gets the folder back)

This applies to valve maps as well. Whenever I load up sdk_ctf_2fort or any other map, and try to compile it...

"Windows reported the error:
Cannot find the file specified"

Please, I've been dealing with this problem for like a week now! I thought it was just a bug by valve and it would be quickly patched, but when I noticed people kept uploading new maps! This means it's a problem with me.

If anyone knows what to do or any options WHAT to do, please comment.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
We've had multiple threads discussing this for the past month in anticipation of the issue, and trying to make it work afterwards. The "solution" currently is to opt into the SDK beta that is part of TF2. Rightclick TF2 in your library, go to properties, betas, and select sdktools_beta from the list. This will download the new tools that work with the steampipe filesystem, and you will find them in steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin and you can launch Hammer using Hammer.bat (NOT the exe directly).

However, this does not fix all problems.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The bat file was recommended by valve... was posted in one of these numerous threads. All it does is check the environment variables Hammer needs to work properly and set them if needed. (It's the same thing the SDK launcher did whenever you started it or changed the game you wanted to work with)