Soundscapes and generics?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MangyCarface, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Does anyone have thoughts on adding ambient_generics and env_soundscapes to TF2 maps beyond the 8 or so overused TF2 noises? For example, which HL2 sounds do you think sound appropriate in a TF2 map? Just looking for some ideas and discussion

2. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    using hl2 sounds and scapes would mean you would have to extract those same ones from halflife and bzip them up into your tf2 bsp, because some people may not have halflife2 as well as tf2 on their systems

3. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I thought they'd be included as part of the base source package?

4. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    well if you just buy tf2, its not feasible to fatten up tf2's data with every hl2 model/sound/texture along with all the tf2 stuff so that JUST in case you need them theyre there

5. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Right, and that's why everyone sort of complains about it I believe. TF2 dl is 3 gigs total I think. Anyway w/o quibbling any thoughts on topic?

6. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Lots of non-TF2 sounds are available as part of the source shared content. It's really a mistake to call them "HL2" sounds, even if that's what they were initially created for. If it's shared content, it's source sounds (or source textures, or source models, etc).

7. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Right, that's what I meant, source shared content. My bad. I think the Coastal sounds work really well for TF2 by the sea maps, most loop nicely. There're a couple from nova prospekt that are generic enough not to offset the mood of a tf2 map. Just looking for what other people are doing with sounds in their maps, it's an area often forgotten in terms of detail.

8. bazola

bazola L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Most maps ive played do not have a noticeable soundscape. I would say that if you use HL2 sounds and you think they work, go with it.

9. DrHaphazard

DrHaphazard L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah most custom maps lack these soundscapes, I have been trying to incorporate them into mine, but they dont seem to want to work.

10. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I'm having trouble myself with both ambient generics and the seemingly nonexistent tf2 soundscapes. Has anyone managed to get them working and if so could you provide some tips for us?

11. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks to this inquiry, I discovered last night that I failed to include the soundscape definitions file in the final release of cp_science. :crying:

12. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Good catch. What'd you look at to help you learn soundscapes? The VDC tut isn't very verbose

13. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I mostly just studied the ones that Valve had created for their maps.