Sound-playing button

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Nov 26, 2010.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
  2. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Ahh. See I haven't set any of the other components up yet. I thought maybe the playsound was removed.

3. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Question; What if I attach a sound from...say...Half Life 2 to a button? I'm not sure if my server has sound files for HL2 (it's hosted by this site I found, Fragfestservers, and yes, I have FastDL).

Would the other players be able to hear it, even if they don't have HL2?

4. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    I know that, lol. I was asking if other players on the server would hear the sounds, even if they didn't have the game that the sounds are from.

I've got FastDL, as I've said before, so the uploading of sounds would not be a problem.

5. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I recommend packing the file into your map using Packbsp or Pakrat. That way, users will only need to download the map, no other files, and it ensures that they'll get them.

6. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    So do I need to set up any sort of file hierarchy like I have to do when installing SourceMod plugins? Or can I just toss the files in with the map all willy-nilly?

7. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Use PackBSP. Just run it, and point it at your map bsp. It figures out what files aren't in the core TF2 files and packs them into the map. That's all there is to it.

8. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    I've decided against using custom sounds for my buttons, so I've stuck with only using TF2 sounds.

Set some buttons up in my admin room (6 in total) and set the sound to be played everywhere. I was too lazy to 6 ambient_generic's for each sound. Why 6? I've got 6 sirens (speakers essentially) on my map and I didn't want to add 36 ambient_generics.

However, with the advent of adding lighting to my map, I figure I may as well go ahead and add the ambient_generics and remove the "Play everywhere" setting.

I was actually surprised that my map went pitch black when I did mat_fullbright 0. I thought I'd have at least 1 or 2 leaks in my map, but it appears I don't. So I figured I'd throw up some lighting and get rid of the ugly fullbright.