Some weird bending brushes

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Wander, Feb 3, 2011.

  1. Wander

    Wander L3: Member

    Messages:
    148
    Positive Ratings:
    42
    Hello

    I've only just started on this map a few minutes ago in hammer, and as I wanted to check ingame if I got the heights and such right, i compiled it (with vis and rad to normal)
    No compile errors, nothing strange, just a few world brushes and some detail brushes (the orange is func detail)

    I didn't expect anything weird, here is the hammer view: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5411/hammert.png

    But.. here are 2 ingame screenshots..
    http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4016/ingame1f.png
    http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4011/ingame2.png

    For some reason stuff is going weird there, and I don't have a clue why?
     
  2. YM

    aa YM LVL100 YM

    Messages:
    7,099
    Positive Ratings:
    5,739
    Boojum might be able to bust out his t-junct-fu and disprove me, but in my experience that means you've got way too many of those railings, cutting the number by half should fix it.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Huckle

    Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

    Messages:
    150
    Positive Ratings:
    87
    Alternatively, you could probably cut up both the top railing and the platform itself into several parts, which will reduce tjuncts per solid. Since my t-junct-fu is of beginner status only I'm not sure it works but unless you convert it into a model I think that is the only way to keep your current look.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  4. Wander

    Wander L3: Member

    Messages:
    148
    Positive Ratings:
    42
    Thanks, that seems to fix it :)
    Even if I wouldve had to start over, it wasnt really a problem, but I was mostly curious what caused it, and what the technical reason for it is (I hadn't heard of those tea-junkies before)
     
  5. A Boojum Snark

    aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

    Messages:
    4,769
    Positive Ratings:
    5,521
    T-juncts are what their name implies, where there is a t-junction between edges. I think the easiest way to fix this would be to make the poles thinner so they don't line up with the edge of the railing and the floor. That would probably look more "real" too.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mr. Happy

    Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

    Messages:
    320
    Positive Ratings:
    144
    You need to make that railing a func_detail.
     
  7. Grim Tuesday

    aa Grim Tuesday

    Messages:
    1,257
    Positive Ratings:
    371
    Wait can someone explain to me why this happens? Im curious.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Attsy

    Attsy L3: Member

    Messages:
    110
    Positive Ratings:
    27
    Isnt it because of all those t-juncs the compile process fixes it by bending the brushes like that, thus lowering the number of t-juncs.
     
  9. Wander

    Wander L3: Member

    Messages:
    148
    Positive Ratings:
    42
    it was, so thats not the problem :)
     
  10. grazr

    aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

    Messages:
    5,436
    Positive Ratings:
    3,557
    func_detail's still cause t-junctions.

    You need to use func_brush or func_lod. Func_detail is, to a lack of better words, a fake entity.

    Alternatively, use one of the many fence models using a prop_static.
     
  11. Exist

    Exist L6: Sharp Member

    Messages:
    306
    Positive Ratings:
    112
    I'm surprised no-one has recommended Propper yet.

    The tool converts brushes to models, effectively solving your issue.
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1