Some sound files aren't working

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by That's the plan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. That's the plan

That's the plan L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    So I wanted to use a ambient_generic to play a sound every time a score is made in my pd game mode. The only problem is that some of the audio files just don't work, even when previewing them in the hammer editor, and I'm not sure why this is. Help?

2. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, so apparently only mp3 files won't play but I'm still not sure why.

3. Narpas

aa Narpas Takes way to long to make and update maps

Positive Ratings:
    Try using raw .wav instead

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wyvern

aa Wyvern Certified TF2 Cartographer

Positive Ratings:
    Source is really old, and cannot use newer formats such as .mp3. Like Narpas said, just use .wav.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  5. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    But some sounds can only be played through .mp3 format, like the heavy's eating effects that I'm trying to use. I don't want to have to convert it into a new sound type and re-package it just to make it work. Any other possible solutions? Thanks for the reply by the way, its always appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Use the soundscript system. Instead of specific sound files, use the name from the soundscript.

7. Cream Tea

Cream Tea L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Source can use mp3 files you just can't preview them in Hammer Editor.

You can use existing sounds from the game in an ambient_generic if you select the file.

OP are you sure that the ambient_generic is even getting played? It could be that instead you know.

Test it with a wav game sound instead, if it still doesn't work you will know that it's because the ambient_generic isn't being triggered.