Some questions from an inexperienced mapper.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Questionmark, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Questionmark

Questionmark L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, so I'm new to mapping, just putting it out there.

I'll get straight to the questions without faffing around too much.

First question:
    I have downloaded and installed the "a boojum snark's mapping resource pack" with which I expected to have the player model changed to the Red/Blue engineer, yet this does not seem to work properly. Instead I get this green (half-life?) model.
    How could I go about fixing this issue? Any settings to manually change the model?[​IMG]

Second question:
    The modelling that I have done up until now have been done in the version of hammer that you can find in the tf2 folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\hammer.exe), I later realised that you have the option to launch hammer trough the "Source SDK" tool.

However when doing this, and opening the .vmf (my map) I get a pop up saying "Failed to load the default scheme file. The map views may be missing some elements."
    So what exactly does this mean? what is the "default scheme file"

[​IMG]
    Hammer after loading in a .vmf.

Are there two identical versions of hammer or are they the same program? (same as in installed to the same directory)

2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    1) the screenshot hasn't loaded, but make sure it's info_player_teamspawn and not info_player_start - tf2 cares about the former.

2) the source SDK version of hammer has been broken since a certain update, you've basically seen its unusability. Use the one from bin folder, you'd been doing it right.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Questionmark

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, thanks a lot for answering so quickly.

I double checked and the entity is set to info_player_teamspawn and still not the correct player model.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal really but the green one simply looks hideous.

4. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the ABS pack. Maybe something went wrong during the install.

5. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    The FGD file for hammer that comes with this installation needs to be added to a list before your engineer models work.
    Go to Tools -> Options and under Game Configurations/Game Data files you click the Add button and select the fgd you want to add.
    Should be located in /Team Fortress 2/bin/tf-abs.fgd

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Questionmark

Positive Ratings:
    That was it, thanks a bunch.