Some help with hills

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by BeamyMcBeamy, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BeamyMcBeamy

BeamyMcBeamy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so i know that hills are made with displacements, and i know how displacements work. It's just that, when i make a hill, its super bumpy and you can't walk on it without jumping a couple times.

Is there a certain degree to make my hills so that you can walk normally, and/or are there any "rules" to follow?

(btw i wanted to upload a pic, but idk how to do it directly from my pc sooo :) )

2. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    To create smoother displacements, you should increase the brush radius (into the hundreds) and decrease the strength (2 or so works well for me). It allows you to get quite soft and smooth displacements with more control over how they're made

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FloofCollie

aa FloofCollie I really suck!

Positive Ratings:
    Also remember that any steeper than a 45 degree angle and you won't be able to walk up it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. radarhead

aa radarhead Oh?? You're a TF2 mapper? Where's your fursona

Positive Ratings:
    Here's a starter tutorial for correct displacement creation. It mostly focuses on cliffs and fancier geometry, but the short of it is that "hills" in your ground should not be made entirely with the raise tool. Rather, create walkable geometry at the basic brush level, then use displacements to make them look "natural".

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. BeamyMcBeamy

BeamyMcBeamy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    @fl00fCollie is there a way to see how many degrees my hill is?

6. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    If you press the button that says :dispwalk: at the top, it'll highlight displacement surfaces at an angle greater than 45 degrees

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    The smooth option in the paint geometry window can be used to smooth out rough geometry.

• Like Like x 1