Some Dillema

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NoirSuede, Mar 31, 2013.

1. NoirSuede

NoirSuede L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    The Old Stock Broker Syndrome

Okay, so i've decided to stop mapping for a while and restart some time later. But :

1.I'm still confused about how big the map ideally should be and how's the layout gonna be (i'm gonna go with a hybrid of process mid and Arctic, but i don't know how to lay it out), so how can i decide ?

2.I have shit drawing skills, so i can't plan it on paper cause it'll look fugly. Can i plan it on MS Paint ?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. Look at valve maps or decompile some maps from here (for educational purpose only ;)).

2. Of course you can plan it in MS Paint (if you really want to use that piece of ...).
    How can your drawing skills be to bad, to create some straight lines? :O

3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    If you're having trouble with scaling, really the only thing that will help you with that is mapping a lot. You may make a ton of shitmaps, but after some time you'll start to get the hang of scale, distances, spawntimes, and other things that make a map good.

MSPaint is fine for planning, but don't think that it's absolutely necessary to plan your map before blocking it out. Some people use paper and pencil, some people use the computer, and some people just wing it and make up the map as they go along. There is no wrong way to do it.

4. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    I've done 2 maps for TF2 and thing that bothers me most are the scale of the maps. I'm still having trouble with it. Having a CS Source & L4D2 mapping background, TF2 is still the hardest to get into the "scale of things". All i can do is look the map up a lot in-game, it helps quite a bit. I suggest you do the same. Helps you keep the track of what you do without doing so much work without much of a benefit.

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Loading a Sentry or class model (I usually did the Heavy) into the map temporarily while you work on it can be useful for judging scale. I used to do this a lot when I had trouble with it.

6. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    open a map of the same gametype you're making, make a block representing each area, put it in a new file, use them to dictate the scale of the area, boom.