(Solved) Trigger options not showing up in entity brush list

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Sp00k, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Sp00k

Sp00k L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to make a trigger_control_area and trigger_hurt but those options aren't showing up in the list of entity brushes. When I convert the trigger to an entity brush it just transforms into a prop_static entity. I dont know if there's some sort of requirement for activating trigger options, but they're just not showing up in the list. Help?

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    You're probably not using the correct entity tool. This one on the sidebar :entitytool: is for creating point entities (such as prop_static, lights, team_control_point etc.) that exist at a single point in space. The other type, brush entities, includes things like triggers and func_doors, and is created by selecting an existing brush and pressing Ctrl+T. You can't choose brush entity classes with the point entity tool and vice versa, so make sure you have the right one.

3. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    Tried it just now, didn't work. Still showing the same list. Do I need to select objects/groups/solids/one of these in particular? I've been told that that's an issue in the past.

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Either of these but Solids.

5. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so using Block Tool, I made a world brush around the point. Then I selected it with Objects selection, and using CTRL+T, turned it into an entity. But when I checked the VisGroups tab, CTRL+T has just adding the trigger to point entities instead of brush entities. What to do?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  6. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    If you did exactly as you described, then that's not supposed to happen. Maybe try validating your game cache?

7. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    game cache? I'm running hammer from my Team Fortress 2 > bin folder lol

8. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    Yep! Hammer's in the game files, so it and everything it depends on are validated with the rest of the game.

9. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    ah ok i'll do that then, hopefully it will work

10. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    Validation didnt work pls help ;~;

11. BigfootBeto

aa BigfootBeto Too obsessed with perfection

Positive Ratings:
    Well you're obviously doing something wrong. You aren't supposed to select the entity at all to make a trigger. Just make a brush, select that brush and only that brush. Press CTRL + T. You should now have a func_detail. Now, you can change it into a trigger_hurt.

If that still doesn't work, make sure you don't have ignore groups enabled because that can mess things up.

12. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    That just turned it into a prop_static. Ignore groups is off. (I changed the default from info_player_spawnpoint as UEAKCrash has suggested in his tutorials.)

Also not sure if this helps but I'm using "A Boojum Snark's Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack".

13. Sp00k

Positive Ratings:
    HOLY SHIT. I changed the default SolidEntity class to trigger_capture_area and it FINALLY WORKED!

• Like Like x 1
  14. turtleboy666

aa turtleboy666

Positive Ratings:
    Just so you know, the default SolidEntity class should be func_detail and most people keep it that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BigfootBeto

aa BigfootBeto Too obsessed with perfection

Positive Ratings:
    That still shouldn't have happened. prop_static is a point entity, and if you pressed ctrl + t on a brush, it would never become a prop_static.

• Agree Agree x 1