[Solved] Random black textures, no leaks

MrFlovi

L2: Junior Member
Jan 2, 2019
Howdy people, back at it again with another problemo.

I have a diagonal wall consisting of a window brush and surrounding brushes.
Some parts of the surrounding brushes appear with a black texture, not all of them, just a few.

The thing is, my map has no leaks, I have lighting in my map, and cubemaps have already been built correctly.
So my question is, what is there left to do?

I have already tried remaking the brush, changing the textures and removing any nearby props.

help

Edit: Compile log in case anyone wants it - https://pastebin.com/gJQVLdh7

Last edited:

Pinsplash

bad bad bad
May 8, 2016
Try adding lights right next to the faces or lowering the lightmap scale.

MrFlovi

Jan 2, 2019
I have lowered the lightmap scale and added some lights nearby, but nothing has changed. Any other ideas?

MrFlovi

Jan 2, 2019
upload_2020-2-26_19-29-16.png
upload_2020-2-26_19-45-21.png

Lightmap scale for this wall is 8 atm.
Also notice that its not the whole face that is black, just parts of the wall

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
If you put "mat_fullbright 1" in console, do the textures appear? I assume the answer is yes, but I could be wrong, in which case ignore the below paragraph.

I've had this issue before, and unfortunately it's a tricky one to get rid of because as far as I can tell, it just happens randomly with no obvious cause. Your best bet is to just fiddle with the brushes (clip tool, func_detail, rearranging things, etc) until you can get rid of the dark faces. This might take quite a bit of experimenting to figure out what works, though.

MrFlovi

Jan 2, 2019
Yes, the textures do appear with mat_fullbright 1 on. Thanks for the tips so far people I'll continue problem solving tomorrow.

Edit: Problem solving done, I fixed the black parts by making the wall a func_detail. Idk if it is the most optimal solution, but if it works, it works.

Last edited: