[SOLVED]Nav mesh problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by squ1rrel, Apr 9, 2017.

1. squ1rrel

squ1rrel L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a mirrored koth map which I created a nav mesh for however the red bots seem to walk around the map fine but the blue bots get stuck in a corner of spawn.

Advice on how to solve this? Ty.

2. DaDema

DaDema L-3: Not very succesful map maker

Positive Ratings:
    In hammer, create a trigger brush. Then make it a func_nav_avoid. Place it at the location where this problem occurs.

3. squ1rrel

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, will try that out now

4. squ1rrel

Positive Ratings:
    I made a func_nav_avoid yet they still go to the same bit of spawn as before. Does compiling on fast vvis cause a problem for this?

5. DaDema

Positive Ratings:
    No, you will have to regenerate your nav mesh

6. squ1rrel

Positive Ratings:
    I did. hmm. I'll try out the func_nav_prefer things as well. Is there a command which displays the routes the bots can take?

7. DaDema

Positive Ratings:
    You could also try func_nav_blocker. Then the bots won't go there anymore

8. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    nav_edit 1 will show you the nav mesh that has been generated.

9. squ1rrel

Positive Ratings:
    It's either me being really stupid but the bots still go to the same corner even with a func_nav_blocker there. Is there a way to manually plot a route for the bots to take (suspect some reading on the wiki for me)

10. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Nav blocking only works when the brush is covering the whole nav section. But even in those cases, its often better to solve the origin of the bots getting stuck or know how to edit the nav in such way the bots know they can get out and wont get blocked. Sometimes splitting a nav section is enough to let bots understand they cant take a certain path

11. squ1rrel

Positive Ratings:
    After some testing, I managed to get a medic bot to follow me all the way to mid so its not like they physically can't walk out of spawn.
    Question: Once/if I solve this, will the nav mesh be permanent such as uploading the updated .bsp to the steam workshop because the nav mesh is a different file?

12. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had troubles with fixing/editing nav meshes in the past, but the guys here at TF2 helped me a bunch at it and as of today I'm able to fix/improve the navigation meshes on many official maps.

About the .nav and the Workshop, this is sadly not like in CS:GO; it doesn't automatically find and upload the .nav file, so either embed the .nav file into your .bsp one (don't fixup), or upload the .nav file somewhere and post the link somewhere in your Workshop submission. I prefer the last one because not many will read the notice about the embeded NAV and will generate one themselves, and I can't imagine what will happen then.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. squ1rrel

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, that was really helpful (and simpler than I imagined)!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    You do know of the failsafe navigation mode bots use when they end up on areas without the navmesh right? They just run in a straight line towards their goal. So managing to get a medic bot to follow you does not mean that the navmesh is fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Benoist3012

Benoist3012 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also in MvM, if a robot goes out of navmesh it will be teleported to the closest nav area.