[Solved] Looking for specific Dance Floor textures, don't know where 2 look

JackHundeswald

L2: Junior Member
Jul 17, 2019
Hello everyone, As this website is usually great for finding answers, I have come here instead of my Internet navigator, because he didn't seem to find what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a good old Dance Floor. something disco to put in my map. I know they exist, I've seen them on multiple maps, including the now-in-casual Pier. I just don't know where to obtain such assets, and I'm not Source-deep enough to know how to animate materials.

So if anyone has a clue as to where I could find it, then I'd be really grateful.
(I may not answer immediately, sorry about that, but I'll try to as soon as I can)

Cyberen

L3: Member
Mar 30, 2021
just get GCFscape and rip the textures from there.
First decompress the bsp file then you can browse the contents with GCFscape and nick what you need.
The disco floor in trade_minecraft_neon is good too.

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
Last time I tried to rip textures off, it didn't work, but I'll try again. Update soon

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
just get GCFscape and rip the textures from there.
First decompress the bsp file then you can browse the contents with GCFscape and nick what you need.
The disco floor in trade_minecraft_neon is good too.
So, I've tried GCFScape and BSPSrc and both have failed to get me the Pier disco file.

BSPSource says:

"
warning] BspSource: Can't extract embedded files, caused by org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.zip.UnsupportedZipFeatureException: Unsupported compression method 14 (LZMA) used in entry materials/blade/blendgrassdirt_nodetail002.vmt
at org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.zip.ZipUtil.checkRequestedFeatures(ZipUtil.java:358)
at org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.zip.ZipArchiveInputStream.read(ZipArchiveInputStream.java:444)
at java.io.InputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.copy(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.copy(Unknown Source)
at info.ata4.bsplib.PakFile.unpack(PakFile.java:111)
at info.ata4.bspsrc.BspSource.decompile(BspSource.java:116)
at info.ata4.bspsrc.BspSource.run(BspSource.java:72)
at info.ata4.bspsrc.gui.BspSourceFrame$4.run(BspSourceFrame.java:359)
"

and GCFScape says:

Extracting to C:\Users\utilisateur\Desktop\mat_extraction...
Error writing C:\Users\utilisateur\Desktop\mat_extraction\disco.vmt (Error: Compression format 0x0e not supported.)
Done.

So yeah, Unless you know of some Other extraction tool, I'm done here...

Oct 6, 2008
I'd suggest getting a fever on Saturday night and in case you didn't get it - that's a hint :)

i.e. do the same

Cyberen

L3: Member
Mar 30, 2021
Okay, this is how I'm able to extract textures from bsp files.

1. Make a text file in the tf/maps folder. Enter this in the text file:

Code:
"..\..\bin\bspzip" -repack %1
@Pause

2. Save as bspzipuncompress.bat (or whatever filename you want, as long as it's a bat)

3. Click and drag the bsp file in question over the bat file. You'll know it works when the filesize gets much larger.

4. Start GCFscape and browse the contents of the file.

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
I'd suggest getting a fever on Saturday night and in case you didn't get it - that's a hint :)

i.e. do the same
For that, I'm guessing you refer to the particle system for the disco ball. Don't worry, I've already thought about it, what matters now is the floor. I'll try Cyberen's method

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
Okay, this is how I'm able to extract textures from bsp files.

1. Make a text file in the tf/maps folder. Enter this in the text file:

Code:
"..\..\bin\bspzip" -repack %1
@Pause

2. Save as bspzipuncompress.bat (or whatever filename you want, as long as it's a bat)

3. Click and drag the bsp file in question over the bat file. You'll know it works when the filesize gets much larger.

4. Start GCFscape and browse the contents of the file.
Alright, it worked! Thanks. How does it work?

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Alright, it worked! Thanks. How does it work?
You couldn't open the maps before because they were compressed. What was just explained is how to uncompress them.

Note that if you uncompress a map without making a copy first you probably won't be able to join a server that's running that map because of a mis-matching file error.

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
I guess I could delete it and do a Steam File verification. Thanks. Now I can use disco in my map. Only need to find out why VIDE doesn't recognise the custom files anymore and then I can finish the map

Pdan4

Still trying to add
aa
Nov 25, 2013
Pier is fine to use since Valve bought the map, but always ask for permission before using textures you didn't make.