so i finished a map but the respawn...

lsd

L1: Registered
Jan 12, 2008
i finished porting a map to TF2 from my divvy, Rainbow Six, and everything is beautiful... but theres a respawn problem. it is like the entities forget what team i assign them to; the blue players spawn in the red spawn zone alongside the other red players, despite the fact that there are no blue spawn entities there.

a respawn entity with red assigned to it will have a blue guy spawn there, but not vice versa.

here are the things i've tried to no avail:

- i've deleted all of the spawn points, and put them back one by one.
- having 2 spawn entities, one for each team, and seeing if it still happens (it did).
- raising the spawn points further from the ground, thinking that maybe they can't spawn because they're too close, if not inside, the ground.
- scanning the entity report for anything that might be affecting the spawn point entities (nothing).
- replacing the func_respawnrooms
- checking for duplicates that may be there (none).

reasons why i'm confused and now asking for help from you guys:

- i made another map just last night as a test using the exact same method i did for this map without any spawn problems, but when i copy/paste to try it on the map, the problem comes up again. this must mean that there's a setting somewhere, but i can't find it for the life of me.

thanks ahead of time.

edit -- here is a sample picture of an info_player_teamspawn's properties:

44682279mb1.png

nothing out of the ordinary, i believe...

Last edited:

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
you forgot to give them each a name. I like to use something like RED_01, etc. I'm not sure if that's the specific issue but you should always name your spawns.

lsd

Jan 12, 2008
clearly it isn't, but i appreciate the tip

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
you forgot to give them each a name. I like to use something like RED_01, etc. I'm not sure if that's the specific issue but you should always name your spawns.
Why? From everything I've read over the years an entity should never be named unless it is actually going to receive inputs or be referenced.

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
Yup. There's no need to name your spawn points.

If you're still having trouble with your map, you might want to uplaod it so we could take a look at it. Just copy/paste the core entities if it's a secret work in progress map.

lsd

Jan 12, 2008
I had the same problem, but it was bcuz I didn't have a fund_respawn room

sean of the dead, not only do i love that movie, but i love you now because your post gave me the idea to delete my respawnroom entity and spawn entities only and redo them with different names.

apparently it somehow reset whatever was wrong and the problem has been solved!

thanks. now i can add cp_roundabout to the map section.