So how big of an optimization nightmare is this?

NameUser

L1: Registered
Sep 15, 2011
My map involves curving tubes. To get the circular shape I used the clipping tool, which of course resulted in dozens of tiny peices. To get the curving in the tube I'm copying one circular opening and displacing it slightly. However, won't the hundreds of tiny peices be awful for optimization? If so, how can I fix this?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You should really use displacements. Just because they are used to create rugged caves doesn't mean you can't use them to create uniform structures either. If you have trouble keeping them exact as you'd like you can always use brushes as a template.

NameUser

Sep 15, 2011
You should really use displacements. Just because they are used to create rugged caves doesn't mean you can't use them to create uniform structures either. If you have trouble keeping them exact as you'd like you can always use brushes as a template.
How would I use displacements to create a ring shape... ?

Also I assume you meab by control t to make them func detail. But what do you mean with the world brushes?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

Also I assume you meab by control t to make them func detail. But what do you mean with the world brushes?

You use ctrl t on the brushes to make them f_detail. this means vvis won't cut visbrushes with them. Then, take the tunnel, and using a brush with nodraw, make a square tunnel around the circular one you made.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009

well if you dont put worldbrushes around the tunnel, itll leak if it touches the void. also try subdividing the displacements.

NameUser

Sep 15, 2011
You use ctrl t on the brushes to make them f_detail. this means vvis won't cut visbrushes with them. Then, take the tunnel, and using a brush with nodraw, make a square tunnel around the circular one you made.

Ah, now that makes sense.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Ah, now that makes sense.

Yea, if you don't know what a world brush is, then its confusing.

A world brush VERY SIMPLY is a brush that isn't anything special, just a normal brush you make.

if you didn't f_detail the tube, the VVIS would try and cut the visbrushes along the angles, and then that requires a lot of calculations, which slows up compiling, and can lower people's fps.