So how big of an optimization nightmare is this?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NameUser, Oct 22, 2011.

1. NameUser

NameUser L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    My map involves curving tubes. To get the circular shape I used the clipping tool, which of course resulted in dozens of tiny peices. To get the curving in the tube I'm copying one circular opening and displacing it slightly. However, won't the hundreds of tiny peices be awful for optimization? If so, how can I fix this?

2. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    ctrl t

and enclose with rectangular worldbrushes

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You should really use displacements. Just because they are used to create rugged caves doesn't mean you can't use them to create uniform structures either. If you have trouble keeping them exact as you'd like you can always use brushes as a template.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. NameUser

Positive Ratings:
    How would I use displacements to create a ring shape... ?

Also I assume you meab by control t to make them func detail. But what do you mean with the world brushes?

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You use ctrl t on the brushes to make them f_detail. this means vvis won't cut visbrushes with them. Then, take the tunnel, and using a brush with nodraw, make a square tunnel around the circular one you made.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    well if you dont put worldbrushes around the tunnel, itll leak if it touches the void. also try subdividing the displacements.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. NameUser

Positive Ratings:
    Ah, now that makes sense.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, if you don't know what a world brush is, then its confusing.

A world brush VERY SIMPLY is a brush that isn't anything special, just a normal brush you make.

if you didn't f_detail the tube, the VVIS would try and cut the visbrushes along the angles, and then that requires a lot of calculations, which slows up compiling, and can lower people's fps.