so does this improve FPS?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

bob+M|M+

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 31, 2008
playercliptb3.jpg

say this is a region where you wouldn't mind if a player went into, but is not really part of the game arena.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Of course it doesn't improve fps, it doesn't make any change to fps what-so-ever

Feb 14, 2008
I'm no expert on optimisation, and I've never done any myself personally, but playerclipping just block's a player's access to an area. If you were round a corner and the playerclip was a different optimisation brush entity (I think), that area would not be rendered to improve FPS.

Ace

L3: Member
Feb 15, 2008
Of course it doesn't improve fps, it doesn't make any change to fps what-so-ever

I always seem to get the feeling that you are looking down on people who don't know as much as you.

If you wanted to affect the fps then you would want a hint brush not a player clip. However this would probably do nothing as you would be splitting up a vis leaf (making things possibly worse).

Is that a staircase? If it is you would increase fps my making it a func_detail, and making any other small-non-affecting-visability brushes func_details as well.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
bob,
That would help to simplify pathfinding. It might help shorten compile time but I'm not sure.

That looks like a roof with 5 posts to me. The best thing you could do to optimize that area for FPS would be to make sure that the posts are turned into func_details. That'll keep them from splitting the surrounding geometry into more triangles. Fewer triangles is always better.
I hint brush placed there might help FPS by reducing the sight lines in that area. You need to go in game and type mat_leafvis 1 and mat_wireframe 1 into console.
That'll show you the portals and wireframes visible from each area. All of the optimization tuts explain that stuff good.