So close, yet so far away...

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
I'm finally getting my first alpha of my map ready, and I am trying to compile now. I tried doing a final compile (everything set to normal, HDR checked), but it froze at the portalflow stage. should I use a fast compile for an alpha, and what could help cut down on the portalflow compile stage?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Use hint brushes (extensively) to help the portal flow. Check you don't have overly complicated geometry.

Portalflow in general will be verylong, for an alpha you shouldn't need anything other than a fast compile. Beta, you might wanna try normal compile as it gives better optimisation, and a closer representation of what will get rendered for your very final version.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
thanks, I guess I will need to look into hint brushes, as I don't know how to use them very well. But I will do a fast compile for the alphas

Laz

Jul 5, 2008
euh before you get into hint brushes, make sure you func_detailed properly. Most people don't func_detail enough. Basicly, load your portalfile, and look for places with overly complex blu box shapes. Staircases can be a portal nightmare,

what happens with these, is that the compiler will calculate for each portal, what other portals can be seem from it. If you have alot of small portals, this will take a very long time!

Let me find you an example.

func_detail.JPG