So, Amazon did a free game engine that mostly focuses on the social aspects of games.

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Bogdy, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Bogdy

Bogdy L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    Its just the cryengine tbh

3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Like most engines, if it does what you specifically need well, then that puts itself above other engines. That being said, I don't see too much more than it can do that say Unity or UE4 or even CryEngine could do just as well, if not better.

Another engine's not bad though.

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Not to poohpooh the fact it's another free choice of engine, it also ties you in to using AWS and bars any other cloud services from use (that you didn't make yourself) (as well as demanding your source code for cloud stuff...). So it's 'free' with hefty strings.

imho Unity still has the nicest licensing stuff for smalltimes.
    Unreal has the power
    Unity has the ease of use for new users
    Cryengine has the BRUTE FORCE but lacks any usability
    Lumberyard is a fork of Cryengine, so it has the brute force of cryengine, but also has whatever neat tools Amazon have had made for it.

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    And ot add to Unreal, it has accessability to coding with Blueprints.
    However, Unity probably beats out Unreal still on documentation.

Buuut Unity has been getting pegged hard in the latest version because of optimization problems.

Do your research, kids.

6. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    You can get a visual coding system for Unity https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/368 (Which is basically Blueprints)But Its always better to learn coding though. Lumberyard doesn't seem to do enough to make people use it rather than UE or Unity, which will be used over it.
    When I tried it, it was just Cryengine but with like a few extra features, then engine is just a bit messy compared to UE and Unity.

7. Bearface

Bearface L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    As far as I'm aware, unity is severely underoptimized, I think it's easy to use for new users, but it's hard to make something that's actually good with it if you're not sure what you're doing. UE is a harder learning curve, but I think it's worth it. The asset store is generally a bit more professional aswell.

8. The Siphon

The Siphon L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Damn, I wish I just had the skills to make these kind of games. Thanks for sharing the info!