Snow Mountain

Kronack

L2: Junior Member
Oct 26, 2009
Greetings everyone! Hopefully posting this type of map here won't get me booted, but saw that this was the only place to put it.

This is my very first map in Hammer, took about a week of on and off working on, and was mainly practice until I got the hang of multiple things. (Still can't get that damned snow collision particle effect to work)

Seeing that I am fascinated with the concept of a snowy or rainy TF2 map, and will most likely make a map after this that is very weather related, I was wondering how you all thought of what I have done with this aesthetics wise.

It was mainly testing my hand at aesthetic displacements, which I guess now that it works very well for simulating snow that I'll be doing them a lot from now on. I did make the snow on the roof myself after seeing no prop for it, and even though it is far from perfect I am very proud of myself for it. :)

Also, since I am no custom model maker, the rock walls only look good from the part of the map your supposed to be in. :p

Also looks at what the map looked like while I was working on it, check these videos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4iocQM_lBA"]YouTube - My first attempt at the Hammer Editor[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdOYO2RF6A"]YouTube - More map updates[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJDMnlNKxg"]YouTube - Final practice map update[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ODYc1U5YY"]YouTube - Just one last update[/ame]

Last edited:

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
This is excactly like summin i tried a while ago then again that was before tf2 snow so i failed.

However this maps looking good :) however i would advise adding clips and player clips to it. You should never be able to see the skybox like that unless it's a party/acheivement/surf map

Good luck with it

Btw plz add more screenshots

Last edited:

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Impressive, I do like your custom snow displacement for the roof, and the little details put into the shack. it's very visually pleasing!

You probably won't care about this too much, but I managed to get up onto here. If you make this into a working map, clip some of those edges so people can't poke sentry nests up there :p

snowmountain0001.jpg

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
Impressive, I do like your custom snow displacement for the roof, and the little details put into the shack. it's very visually pleasing!

You probably won't care about this too much, but I managed to get up onto here. If you make this into a working map, clip some of those edges so people can't poke sentry nests up there :p

snowmountain0001.jpg

Heh, I meant for it. Scouts double jumping and others explosive jumping up there if they want. The thing was that some of the cliff walls were not solid, so had to manually build a player clip around them.

I am honestly considering making it into a CTF or CP map, with that part that I have made now be part of the outside of a base.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Heh, I meant for it. Scouts double jumping and others explosive jumping up there if they want. The thing was that some of the cliff walls were not solid, so had to manually build a player clip around them.

I am honestly considering making it into a CTF or CP map, with that part that I have made now be part of the outside of a base.

Yeah, I just saw after decompiling to find out what prop the light-switch was :p

Also, try and make your skybox smaller, as just having it as a big box can harm your visleafs :3

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
Yeah, I just saw after decompiling to find out what prop the light-switch was :p

Also, try and make your skybox smaller, as just having it as a big box can harm your visleafs :3

Alrighty, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Will probably update it later tonight, going to bed soon (my job is third shift).