Snow Brush/Prop Help

ROFLsnakes

L2: Junior Member
Apr 24, 2012
So I've been working on my snow map and I've yet to see any props for piles of snow,or adjusted props to have snow.I'm currently doing it with displacements but for some objects it's hard or near impossible.Boxes are easy wood piles however are hard.

Was just curious if there is somewhere some props or some other resource that would give me snow coverings. If not I feel I'll be re-texturing, or finding a way to get all props under alcoves of some sort.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Most snow maps use disps to create snow mounds. Certain props also have snowy textures, like the gray rocks. It's not necessary to put snow on everything, as most people won't even pay much attention to that.

ROFLsnakes

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah that's true but as a perfectionist I want the map to look like a work of art that makes sense.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Your work of art is going to look out of place alongside top-tier maps and tank frame rates, and if you do everything with disps, probably hit or exceed the brush limit.

ROFLsnakes

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks, I know that.Hence,the reason looking for some other option

Edi:thanks Froz3n this looks great

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You really don't need snow on everything to create a convincingly snowy environment. If you're doing a daylight map you actually want to avoid it, because all the glowing white will strain player's eyes.

It has nothing to with being a perfectionist, it all comes down to using the right tool for the job.

All that's really necessary is a handful of snow piles in strategic areas to set the mood. Use roof textures that have a snow alpha blend (barnblitz has a really nice one), and drop in a couple large displacements in a battle area using the snow textures. Sink some props slightly underground so it looks like the snow has some depth (aka Viaduct), and as a finishing touch add some fog and maybe some snow particles. Presto, snowy map.

ROFLsnakes

Apr 24, 2012
Have a lot of buildings and snow particles are being a bit of a pain to give collision physics to.My map is at night.Added fog already.

Might just go alpine for the sake that it is way easier to detail.