sniper_mile

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
I finally got this map done. Took 2 8+ hour days to get the design finished, then another 3 days for the lighting. (got to love a 3 hour vrad compile time)

Anyways, I just thought I would get some constructive criticism from people that know how much work it takes to make one of these maps.

The focus of the map was the detail and lighting. I went a little overboard on things like chair rails that come out from the wall, rounded banisters, a little bit of glass left in the broken out of the double paned windows, etc.

While it is 'dark' there is no matter where your opposing team goes, they are 'visible' in some fashon. Usually they are dark against a bright background or bright against a dark. Sometimes they just have an outlining of light giving a nice look via a happy accident (theres a nice Bob Ross reference for those that remember him).

The cubemaps were not run because I didn't know about them until I had the map just right. So, the running the buildcubemaps ended up giving some very strange reflections and some very good ones. Overall, the strange ones were bothering me, so I left them out.

I've been mapping for 2 decades now, but this is my first real attempt at a TF2 map. So, please be brutal or complimentry if you feel so inclined.

http://www.pinksrealm.com/maps/sniper_mile.zip

Thanks,
Phil

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
People will want to see screen shots of your map, especially before downloading it. That will get you the best response from those in this community.

Pink_Panther

Dec 14, 2008
i will get some posted on tomorrow, but in the mean time...i have some with the map at fpsbanana.com

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/76229 (sorry to plug another website)

and sorry to the ldr users...my lights are too bright in ldr mode. So, i will tweek them down tomorrow for yall.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
You seem to have used textures from other games than TF2 freely, and the same goes for the sky. Since your goal for this map was to make good details, I'm surprised you didn't stick to something that fits TF2's style better. This might have looked very good as a CS map, since the details themselves are nice and all, but as a TF2 map, it just doesn't work. I understand that the lights are intended to be as they are, and that you like them, but they could be much brighter - the focus of this game is to always be able to see enemies clearly and identify them very quickly.

I can't exactly comment on anything gameplay related, since, well...it's a sniper map. What should I say? :p I'm sure there are many sniper fans out there who will appreciate it as a good looking map, but I'm no fan of realism and darkness in TF2.

Pink_Panther

Dec 14, 2008
After a few failed attempts, i finally got the LDR lights about right. I updated the file at the above link.

MrMuffinMan, I'm not a purest. I look for more realism in my maps and extra details that make it achieve that goal. Of course the game will only do so much and my lazy tendancies will get in the way, so its of course not perfect.