Sniper Theory

Dan2025

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2008
Hello, I was just wondering how much space I should have in my map. I'm making a ctf map right now, and (as with almost every ctf map) it will feature two bases facing each other. Now I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the ideal amount of space there should be between the two bases would be? Too large and the map is overrun with snipers. Too small and you have complete and utter chaos with larger amounts of people. Any ideas?

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Look at Valve maps and other good balanced maps.

BTW, you should also keep all other classes in mind, like pyros ;).

Aes`inv

L1: Registered
Oct 28, 2008
NO! NOT THE PYROS! :crying:

I was actually wondering the same thing. A Snipe-a-holic map is never a very fun map for people who suck at sniping.... or suck in general :D

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I reckon it should take about 5-7 seconds to run from one base to the other as a heavy (Not revving up), with suitable cover and stop off points.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
just use the bridge cover from 2 fort as a guide. Add a bit of land either side and you have yourself a reasonable size for the middle area.

Aes`inv

L1: Registered
Oct 28, 2008
^^
but what if you want to focus all the fighting and stuff on say, a big bridge. How can you make it so that The fighting will take place on a bridge in between to bases, and still limit sniper abuse? Lots of side cover on the bridge?

Inqwel

Jun 2, 2008
Well, the best advice when building for your own class is to set up obstacles that make it a challenge and limit to how far. If your wondering about sizes, the sentry gun's limitation of view is 1024. If the map is below that, a well placed sentry could cover the entire courtyard and possible only passages into the bases. 2fort, as said, for example has the sewer areas which allow opposing teams to enter the base an alternative way.

Given battle areas of the map, for battle are around 2000-3500 on some maps like Gravelpit, Dustbowl. Usually the area is broken up with buildings in the way. In Gravelpit for example, the blu sniper's cover is limited from the concrete tunnels from their base. They'd have to leave the 'safety' of tunnel have more range across the map. In Dustbowl, the beginning area may seem like a sniper haven for the first checkpoint of part A, but the attacking team has a clear shot to the checkpoint that the sniper can't cover from the save haven of the tunnels.

TotalMark

Feb 13, 2008
Well, the best advice when building for your own class is to set up obstacles that make it a challenge and limit to how far. If your wondering about sizes, the sentry gun's limitation of view is 1024. If the map is below that, a well placed sentry could cover the entire courtyard and possible only passages into the bases. 2fort, as said, for example has the sewer areas which allow opposing teams to enter the base an alternative way.

Given battle areas of the map, for battle are around 2000-3500 on some maps like Gravelpit, Dustbowl. Usually the area is broken up with buildings in the way. In Gravelpit for example, the blu sniper's cover is limited from the concrete tunnels from their base. They'd have to leave the 'safety' of tunnel have more range across the map. In Dustbowl, the beginning area may seem like a sniper haven for the first checkpoint of part A, but the attacking team has a clear shot to the checkpoint that the sniper can't cover from the save haven of the tunnels.

Yeah, it's all about risks and payoff. We should try to formulate this kind of thing.