snark's resource thread post dump

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It doesn't matter where it goes. You just open it up in Hammer so put it where makes it easy for you, like wherever you have Hammer put your VMFs.

mtv22

L3: Member
Feb 28, 2009
Is there any way so I can see them without having to fly into the yellow box and look at each thing up close?

timone5666

L1: Registered
Mar 4, 2009
I'm using this in a map I am making right now but I was wondering how do I make it so players can't walk through the model? I tried searching google but didn't really know what to actually search for.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Have you laid out props with alternate skins?? if so, the tracks now have a new skin, you might want to update it with that if you have. If not, perhaps consider doing that, I know there are many props I forget have more than one skin.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Is there any way so I can see them without having to fly into the yellow box and look at each thing up close?
I mentioned it in the main post. Tools > Options > 3D views: Model render distance.

I'm using this in a map I am making right now but I was wondering how do I make it so players can't walk through the model? I tried searching google but didn't really know what to actually search for.
Some props simply don't have a collision mesh, for whatever reason valve decided they didn't need one. The little "CM" button on the top toolbar will let you see what does and doesn't. The only way around this is to make your own with clip brushes, but then they don't have any decal marks when you shoot them.

Have you laid out props with alternate skins?? if so, the tracks now have a new skin, you might want to update it with that if you have. If not, perhaps consider doing that, I know there are many props I forget have more than one skin.
I don't have alternate skins laid out... I initially felt that would take up far too much extra space. Does anyone else have preference to this? (yeah right like anyone comes and reads this thread...)

menno

Feb 27, 2009
I dont think skins are necessary to put in it, like you did say already it takes up a lot of extra space.

btw, my first post xD

timone5666

Mar 4, 2009
Some props simply don't have a collision mesh, for whatever reason valve decided they didn't need one. The little "CM" button on the top toolbar will let you see what does and doesn't. The only way around this is to make your own with clip brushes, but then they don't have any decal marks when you shoot them.

Cool thanks :)

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Doot doo... v1.11 up. Put back in that silly log prop valve nuked. :rolleyes: I wouldn't bother downloading it if you have 1.1
(if a mod reads you can update the version in the thread title if you like, doesn't matter to me much since it's so small a change)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2007
Thank you thank you thank you for this! Must have taken you a bit of work to put together, but it's amazingly useful.

rimlanin

Mar 10, 2009
Sorry i am a noob, so when i spawn this i cannot see any objects only the orange things, i saw a comment which said visgroups must be enabled, but i have no idea how to do that. Second How do i move pros individually? And third how to remove the library once i am done?

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
View menu > Screen Elements > Filter Control. That panel lets you show/hide visgroups.

Your second two questions I'm not real sure about. Are you inserting the map as prefab or something? It's just a normal map file that you open in Hammer the same way you'd open your own map. Then you can copy and paste objects from the library into your map (Hammer is a multi-document editor, ctrl+tab or the Window menu switches).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Mad props!

Also, player of the week for next week! :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Mad props!

this is just frekin' fantastico. Good job!

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
sweet jesus this should be stickied in the tutorial forum