Snapping to grid

ferrante

L1: Registered
Sep 29, 2008
Why sometimes is it when I am building that things stop snapping to grid lines and are a hair off.

This also happens when I make prefabs and import them, any solution to my probably and most likely easy question?

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
i know Shift + W is the buttons to snap or unsap items. and from my experience in 3DS Max, i hit that accidentally a lot.

To resnap stuff i just make sure it's on, zoom in real close, grab a corner and try to make it snap. But sometimes the bounding boxes i dont think are to grid size and it's probably snapping from it's origin mark. But i could be wrong on that detail, might help a little, maybe.

good luck

suzzanuzza

L1: Registered
May 18, 2009
It is possible that you accidentaly turned off snap to grid, but if snap to grid is on, objects will always snap to it, but maybe not in the way you'd think. Any object you made with the block tool was created using the grid, so its outside lines will always fit perfectly in the grid, as long as the correct grid size is on. But props and entities werent made using the hammer grid as a reference, so they usually wont fit where you want them. The part of them that DO snap to the grid is the little X directly in the center of the object. it snaps on the intersection of any two grid lines. But if you make the grid its smallest size, you can usually get the object close enough to where you want it. But if that isnt good enough and you want two parallel lines to meet, then look at the steps below.

1. make the grid its smallest size.
2. position your object as close to where you want it as possible.
3. then grab one of the side handles as if you were going to resize a block, and drag it to the grid line that you want it to meet. after you let go, the object will move a hair closer to the grid line, but wont meet with it.
4. Continue doing this until the object is in line with the grid.

But if you use this method, just know that trying to move the WHOLE object (instead of one handle) will automatically snap it to the nearest grid intersection, and undo all your work. So if you want to move an object down, then to the left, make sure you follow the steps above.