Smissmas Boss/NPC?

FerJox22

L1: Registered
Jul 7, 2014
Is there any way to incorporate Old Nick as a boss/NPC in maps similar to how Merasmus and the Horseless Headless Horsemann appear in Halloween maps?

I'm asking because I'm interested in adding him in my Workshop Wonderland submission.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
I think something called Versus Saxton Hale and Freak Fortress exists... and I believe old nick is one of the oldest versus enemies... cant be too sure, but try finding a map with the type listed as vsh_

FerJox22

Jul 7, 2014
True, although those are server plugins that turn 1 player into a boss, rather than NPCs that are directly incorporated to maps (which is what I'm looking for).

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Coding npcs is something valve has to do so i dont think you can do it yourself

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
Well, a lot of custom coding went into snowplow for the capture and payload aspects, all made by people from this community. You could be able to make the npc, but it will take probably longer than anticipated, and not worth the struggling.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
You could do a model override for any of the existing bosses in game, they'd basically be identical other than visually, anduse the same abilities/ effects, but you could probably pull it off with some clever work.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
It's not exactly easy task to make NPC work 100% correctly. I mean you can have horseman, monoculus or merasmus but they all are lacking something that only works in maps that Valve has made them to work on.

For custom NPC - the nav is there if you have created it, only thing that is missing is the real AI telling the model to do what it is set and animation to kick in at proper times.

FerJox22

Jul 7, 2014
I've been trying to do what Crash said, but the problem is that I'd need to create a brand new entity specifically for the boss (even if I'm just changing the model), and that's something I can't pack in a BSP, therefore, can't add it to my submission. The only option is wait for Valve to create an entity for that. Still, it would take time.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Well, there is always the option of packaging a server plugin...

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
I thought of something... what about making a boss that is prop_dynamic based? Of course may require further modding for it to move around and respond.

Like Zeph's ghost in Harvest event.

I think thats how Slender maps work, BLU must stay in a waiting room while RED collect pages/items while being hunted by an NPC, though most of it could be mod.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Trying to fake an entity using multiple ones is a pain, entities aren't nearly codable enough to be set to react to specific players in specific situations.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
In GMod you can get entidies that are props that can "stalk" you while appearing still and harmless when approached.

If this is possible, I'd like to have this in a Halloween TF2 map someday. Ideas that whomever cap the point will be marked for death and stalked until melee tag an enemy, all the while a countdown until they instant die.

While browsing more on custom bosses, I did find this.

FerJox22

Jul 7, 2014
I actually tried the Harvest method, although lets remember that the ghost is always in 1 single animation: idle, rather than having multiple ones like HHH and Merasmus, which is what I'm trying to replicate (hence why a prop_dynamic with tracks was used instead of a AI-based NPC).

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
I have ideas for Smissmas maps where Old Nick is visable but not interactible. Cold Rush and festive version of Mann Manor (Old Nick turning Redonds study into his grotto). Like Helltower, I like the idea of Old Nick telling RED what to do and insulting BLU for trespassing. I'm just starting out with Hammer Editor so doubt will make them any year soon.

I imagine unlike Merasmus who hates Soldier, Old Nick hates BLU in general, given "A Smissmas Story" and his taste in colour fashion.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
I've been trying to do what Crash said, but the problem is that I'd need to create a brand new entity specifically for the boss (even if I'm just changing the model), and that's something I can't pack in a BSP, therefore, can't add it to my submission. The only option is wait for Valve to create an entity for that. Still, it would take time.
You don't seem to understand what a model override does. It's just a client mod that is placed inside the .bsp. So basicaly you have to make a client mod that replaces one of the bosses and then just pak it into the map. This can include models, textures and sounds. Egan jokingly did that in a 72h map. All spies looked a little flowery.