KotH Skyscraper

Anreol

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2015
THE KOTH MAP WITH KARTS THAT NO ONE ASKED FOR!
N64 Skyscraper!
Cap the point and hold it for 1:30 mins!
Go crazy and push your enemies off of the skyscraper or into the main hole (what?)
It has music!
It has nostalgia!
It has bugs!
It has comic sans!

Known Bugs
>If you use the uber spell and fall off the stage, you don't die! No, I'm serious! I don't know why the trigger doesn't react and doesn't kill you!
>Music doesn't loop: it ends at 2:50 mins
>Visible Nodraw at the point
>HUD don't show when you are inside the kart
>The music doesn't play

Special thanks to everyone that helped me in the Steam Chat.
Ynders
worMatty
::Egan::
Idolon

Thanks to Lain for the grammar mistakes. :D

If i forgot you plz tell me!
Also I'm not stupid, so don't lie just to be in the list

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░ Valve, ░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░Add This░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░Please!░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█
██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Hi, Darren.

I don't think KoTH is the best use for this map as it forces people to the middle, with a tight area, where there is no reason for them to drive. It becomes a slow, dull bumping exercise and there is no reason to visit the outside edge of the map.

If you moved the objective around the map like introducing some ducks like in the Halloween event, or a randomly spawning intelligence briefcase (as an example though I'm not sure how CTF would work with karts) it would give players a reason to keep moving and picking up spells, and blocking enemies.

Also, there is no difference between the regular spell pickups and the rare type, in karts. So you should stick to one type so as not to confuse people.

I'm glad you made the death pit a bit deeper. It surely makes falling feel a bit more realistic now. But you have used the skybox texture on the walls underneath, so players in the pit can see through it and can see all the other brushes from underneath. What I meant when I made the suggestion, was that you should texture those walls using the same texture as the walls in your skybox (in this case, the same dev texture). They would be a sort of continuation of the skybox and would prevent people seeing through them.

Finally, when you make the trigger_multiple in to a trigger_hurt, give it the BLAST damage type. This will explode players so you won't see a corpse just lying there in mid air (though you will see gibs, a weapon and a hat but hey it's still better and a lot funnier :) )

ALTERNATIVELY set the damage type to FALL (or GENERIC if you don't want any blood) and add these outputs to your trigger_hurt:
OnStartTouch > tf_ragdoll > Kill > 0.2 delay
OnStartTouch > tf_ammo_pack > Kill > 0.2 delay
This will just remove the player's ragdoll and his dropped weapon from the game a quarter of a second after they are generated so they just sort of disappear. It's the cleanest way to pretend the player fell to his death because it removes the evidence.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I don't know how to make ducks appear either, but you should find out. It will be good for you to learn. Try downloading the decompiled version of the Doomsday event map and looking at itin Hammer.

Arena sounds sucky. But hey it's your map.

Then don't spawn people in random places. This is TF2 not Mario Kart, you don't have to be authentic if it doesn't work well. Make some spawn areas in the map and have players drop out of them in their carts or be pushed out. Alternatively, parent your spawn points to an invisible, passable rotating func_door so players are spawned along a circle on the inner track.

Regarding the skybox - you could just rebuild the parts that are attached to the actual skyscraper structure. Have you followed the method of making a 3D skybox described in the SDK wiki? You can just build the bit in the middle again, and the bits underneath the outer track. They are very simple brushes. If you stick to a good grid size like 128 or 64, then when you reduce things in size 16 times to put in the skybox, they should still stay on the grid.