KotH skyrise

MerlinTheWiz4rd

L1: Registered
Jul 2, 2014
Hello every one!

This is my first attempt at making a level for TF2 which I am doing in tandem to learning Hammer.

About:
The level that I have decided to call 'skyrise' is a King of the hill map located inside a skyscraper. There are two main floors and several flanking routes above, below and on the outside of the main room. From the spawns the teams can easily access the first and second floor as well as the outside route on their respective spawn side.

To do:

-Fix cubemaps
-Add soundscapes
-Add a 3d skybox

There might be more that I have missed.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
I fear that this map might either be a bit too large or need more cover. Long straight corridors are hell for snipers, and point areas without cover are very difficult to defend and just as hard to attack.

Part of the issue, I suspect, is that you simply don't know what your skyscraper is actually about. I mean, you used the ironworks sign there, but I bet you actually had no intention of this being an ironworks. The textures around seem to be spytech themed, but spytech doesn't have much in the way of gameplay defining props, as ctf_turbine can attest. Many TF2 props are objects like containers and missiles, which are very difficult to store 20 floors up. That's why you just don't see many skyscraper maps.

Having said all of that, congratulations on finishing a1 of your first map!

MerlinTheWiz4rd

L1: Registered
Jul 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

I was thinking about adding walls around the capture point but decided against thinking it would be too cramped but perhaps that's the way to go about things. Then for the corridors I will look into splinting them up or add some cover to obfuscate against snipers, of course trying to find a happy medium between them both.

Furthermore I agree I should start looking to get a unified theme to the level, most of the props have up to this point just been added haphazardly by me, so I will have to revise that.

Again thank you for the feedback, it's much appreciated.