Skyboxes?

P

Pegg

Hey guys,

Im just wondering if anyone else has the problem that any skybox texture other than hydro doesnt work and makes any reflective surface glow purple?

P

Pegg

why are they broken? Is there any fix?

And stupid question but when are valve going to fix em!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I heard someone fixed them by extracting the sky textures, making them square and then packaging them with his map (apparently only square sky textures work...)

P

Pegg

the skytexture itself works, its just the reflections of other textures that get... broken

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
the skytexture itself works, its just the reflections of other textures that get... broken

well thats what I was saying, the non-square sky texture breaks the cubemaps (apparently)

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
I've used a number of different sky textures for my maps, and havn't had any problems.

Are you all using HDR or anything? Perhaps there's something broken which my low-end hardware can't see anyway.

[Edit] Or maybe I misunderstand what the "problem" is. If we are talking about reflective surfaces not working with cubemaps, I've found that setting mat_specular to 0, building the cubemaps, restarting the map and turning mat_specular back to 1 works. It's just a problem that this must be done after every single compile..
I havn't actually noticed whether or not this only happens with non-Hydro skyboxes.

Last edited: