Skybox trains

Nov 14, 2009
How do I make: Gates open with trains, trains go to skyboxes, and make the skybox trains continue on a logical path. Thanks in advance!

Cynick

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 7, 2010
[TUTORIAL]Trains, the easy way.

Also, check out cp_well or ctf_well VMFs from here .

Basically, its a prop_dynamic train parented to a func_tracktrain and a trigger_hurt parented to the prop_dynamic.

IIRC, Valve uses some sort of train station at the very edge of the map in well to hide the transition between the "real" train and the skybox train (so basically, the train's in two parts, one in the skybox and one in the "real" world.) Check out the cp_well commentary in-game, I think one of the comments talks about this.

Nov 14, 2009
LOL, I know how to make trains( From that exact tutorial coincidentally). Thanks for the info, though. I am currentlly looking through the VMF's as we speak. In fact, I am tempted just to copy all of hte the tran and skybox components from well...

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
1. You just need a path_track for the train to pass at some point to tell the gates (output OnPass) when to open, and preferably for the signals to sound and light up too!
2. Skyboxes trains are seperate from the normal ones.. and valve made some crazy logic cases and things for that transition. If you are making them continue in the skybox, then I would say yes copy valve's and tweak to your need, as it will be a lot more effort to make from scratch. Just try and make sure you understand what it all does!
3. As you probably saw from Well, the skybox are just tiny props that go on their own path_tracks.

Spammish

L3: Member
Jan 2, 2010
Valve's system seems overly complex, I haven't tried it myself but I'd imagine the easiest way is to set up a miniature version of a track in the 3D skybox, then set your ending full-size path track to 'OnPass' 'Train_skybox' 'Start Forward'. Though as Cynick said, Valve uses a building to mask the transition, if you need any more help just ask :D