Skybox issues

Thrystor

L1: Registered
Feb 9, 2014
So I'm a bit new to mapping. I'm working on my third map now, and I decided I should learn how to make those fancy 3d skybox backgrounds. I made a desert landscape with displacements and put it in the skybox, but when I load it ingame I can see parts of the map geometry through the 3d skybox model. How do I fix this?

What it looks like ingame:
fnjtr8x2g4ibb5dfg.jpg

This part of the map in hammer:
0qthz231a2g3hf6fg.jpg

This part of the skybox in hammer:
nc10f2f799bltp9fg.jpg

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
It's because the skybox is always drawn behind the playable area.

You'll have to design your map to prevent players from getting to an area where they can see hidden parts of the map if you want to avoid the problem you're seeing in your screenshot.

Thrystor

Feb 9, 2014
So I have a brush hiding that part of the map, but it doesn't render because the skybox brush is lined up with it. Is there any way I can avoid this?

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
So I have a brush hiding that part of the map, but it doesn't render because the skybox brush is lined up with it. Is there any way I can avoid this?

Essentially, things in the skybox should never be in between the player and another playable part of the world.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010

Move the skybox brush further out. If you need to prevent players from getting into the new area this creates, use playerclips to prevent this.

Thrystor

Feb 9, 2014
Thanks for the answers. Now the challenge will be trying to make the part of the map with the tunnel look good without using any skybox...