Skybox fail

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Jurtenland, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Jurtenland

Jurtenland L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I compiled my map (everything "normal" and "hdr" enabled).
    But for some reason one side of the sky box isnt showing up. compiled_map.png
    Its the one to the left of the little hill.

Attached Files:

2. Hipster_Duck

Hipster_Duck L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You have created a displacement on that brush. Simply selecting the brush and pressing the "toW̲orld" button on the right side of Hammer will fix the problem. Alternatively, you can just make a new brush.

[EDIT] You shouldn't use power 4 displacements, they can cause problems with sticky bombs (If you need as much detail as a power 4 displacement split it up into multiple power 2 or 3 displacements). Also, as Idolon said, displacements don't seal maps and you should place a nodraw brush under it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    That wall of the skybox is a displacement. Turn it back into a world brush and you should be good to go. Also, make sure you put a brush (nodraw) at the bottom of the map too. Displacements don't seal the map.

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    It turns entities into world brushes, not displacements. To make a displacement a world brush, you need to Destroy it:
    upload_2016-11-14_22-3-41.png
    and a brush becomes a world one only if it has no displaced faces. By the way, never make your displacement entities/displace entities. That's just not supported.
    The problem isn't as much power 4 as it is as the vertex density, the range between closest vertices, and, thus, the area of faces. If that's too small and has physics, it causes problems. But power 4 displacements also don't let VBSP compress map's displacements (from my personal log reading experience; correct me if your knowledge is more reliable), and should be refrained from using also because of that.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. Jurtenland

Jurtenland L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you a very lot.