Skybox compile error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Hey there, I'm working on a map and it's coming along nicely but now there's bumps on my mapping highway.

I have chosen sky_well_01 as my sky texture in map properties and this is what i get when i run vbsp:
Code:
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_well_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_well_01 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_well_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_well_01 to build the default cubemap!

I don't know what it means or what I should do. However before coming here I did some testing. I tried all the official skyboxes and if I use either sky_hydro_01 or sky_badlands_01 the compiler finishes without problem. weird...? All others get the same error as listed above.

The map runs just fine even with the error but a few (not all, I have cubemaps scattered around) surfaces reflect the black/purple checkerboard. The correct skybox is beeing shown (in this case sky_well_01) ingame.
It's playable but not acceptable.

What should I do to make sky_well_01 build a default cubemap?
Any help is welcome.

Foreverkul

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 12, 2008
Try compiling it with the default skybox texture, then retry your new one. Make sure its spelled exactly right.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Default sky works
Code:
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Setting it back to sky_well_01 generates the same error as before.
And as I said, the badlands and hydro skies works, none other tho.
And if it's mispelled it shows in the compile log as another error (telling me it cannot find texture). It's clear that it can obviously find the sky_well_01 texture, but there's something is wrong with it?

I'm attatching a picture of my gcf window for you (anyone) to compare with, are there any files with wrong size or any missing ones?

Last edited:

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
Actually this error doesnt really mean anything, i.e. it wont affect your map at all. Basically what it means is that it cant build a default cubemap using the skybox (for some reason, its just a bug). When you place your own cubemaps in hammer and then run buildcubemaps before you release your map, it wont matter that there's no default cubemap.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
That tutorial is useless. The error is pointless. The default sky-based cubemap isn't even needed once you properly build your own cubemaps.
Good job necro-bumping an ancient thread. *lock*

Status
Not open for further replies.