Skinning a prop with a Valve texture

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
I'm converting some geometry from my map to prop_static, but I can't figure out how to get the model to use a texture from a GCF. All tutorials I've looked at have glossed over this step. ("Don't forget to texture your model.")

Any help?

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I can help you if you're using XSI Mod Tool. Select your object, then click the Texture button on the left side. It will bring up a menu, and you'll want to click Image. At the top (where it says nolcon_image), you'll want to add a new image, from file. You can just use the vtf here, no need to convert it. Finally, go down towards the bottom and select a projection. It most likely doesn't matter what you select because you'll probably want to tweak it anyways.

To tweak the projection, select to the surface you want to alter. Then open up the Texture menu again and down at the bottom press the Projection button. There are lots of choices here, and you'll have to get used to it. My advice to you is to, with your surface selected, press the cube button towards the top and click Best Fit from the drop down menu that shows up. Then you can use the normal movement hotkeys (C, V, X) to rotate, translate, and scale. You can also hit space and select just individual points to move things around.

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
That's a good tutorial for modelling texturing in general, using your own custom model textures. However, I want to use a preexisting texture -- one that's in the GCF.

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
Figured it out. I had misspelled the directory to the texture.

Here's my .qc file if someone in the future is interested.

Code:
$modelname "crate/crate_68.mdl"
$cdmaterials "models/props_farm/"

$body "Body" "./crate_68.smd"

$texturegroup "wood_beam"
{
	{ "wood_beam01" }
	{ "wood_beam02" }
	{ "wood_beam03" }
}

$staticprop

$surfaceprop "wood"

$sequence "idle" "crate_68" fps 30

$collisionmodel "crate_68" {
	$Mass 5
	$concave
}

ArsenaL

L1: Registered
Jun 7, 2008
the noesis video tells you to use rendermap to get your texture into a picture format so you can create your .vtf. It's jacked up though and has black lines all over the place once you generate your map. You can even see it in the tutorial on the model itself.