Single CTF - Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dr. KillPatient, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Dr. KillPatient

Dr. KillPatient L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was thinking about making a map where there's only one briefcase, remodeled to be a bomb, that both teams could pick up. The bomb then must be carried into the enemy base in order to score, also giving me an excuse to nuke the losing team's base at the end of the round :O
    Only one briefcase can be available at a time, and if the carrier is killed the dropped bomb can be picked up again by either team.
    First of all, is this possible the way TF2 is set up?
    Second, is it a good gameplay idea?

2. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sure it is possible, works just like in ctf_bball ;)

I think it would be worth a try making a map for that, though i dont know how it would play. But it could be less stalemate-ly than normal ctf.

3. Mr.M

Mr.M L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It would be very back and forth and incredibly hard to plant the bomb inside. Sounds fun but a little hard to make it equally fun for both teams. You should use spawn points that push back to avoid any spawn camping, which will probably happen with one or two spawn rooms. In fact, I'd say without progressive spawn points, the map would be impossible to win without some spawn camping.

4. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Why? Its basically the same like in normal ctf, where you have to push into the enemy base and retrieve the flag, just the other way round. If the layout fits the game mode, balancing shouldnt be a big problem.

I believe there were maps with that mode for tfc, could be good for some inspiration?

5. Dr. KillPatient

Dr. KillPatient L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Any tutorials on how I can do it though?
    And by the way, what exactly do you mean by progressive spawnpoints? Depending on the progress of the round one team's spawn is closer than the others?

6. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    when creating a item_Teamflag (you know, the flags when doing ctf), only create one, and set it's team value to neutral (I dont remember what they called it, but there are only three choices and two of them are red and blu) and set an override model.

make sure you actually use a model that can be used as a prop_dynamic

7. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Progressive Spawn Points are spawns that change depending on the progress in the map (Like in Badlands and pretty much all Push maps) they're used to help with pacing and can very finicky to tweak perfectly but are crucial in this kind of game mode.

8. .fortune

.fortune L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like a cool idea. If I were you, I would avoid needing only one successful plant to nuke the base. Similar to how in normal CTF, the flag must be capped 3 times before somebody wins. Perhaps you could make it so that once a bomb is planted on the point, it is locked in place untill 3 bombs have been planted, and then the bombs explode. This could also serve as a visual que as to how close a team is to winning/losing, besides the HUD of course.

9. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Boomtown! And Bomb Factory!

10. Locutus

Locutus L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like an awesome idea. Also, your mention of "progressive spawn-points" gave me a neat idea for my KOTH map. >:3

11. cownaetion

cownaetion L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    For an idea on how to design this type of map, just look for a map called 'tator'/'tater' (can't remember spelling specifically). This type of map has been done before, as it's a popular type of game play from games like man hunt/paintball (and I'm sure other sports). The aforementioned map is old, either from QWTF or TFC, can't recall but it'll help give you an idea, the game play is fun.

12. ChickenLover

ChickenLover L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Something like ctf_solitaire?

[​IMG]

Solitaire is setup so that the bomb stays in play for 30 seconds when dropped. For the first 15 seconds it can only be picked up by the team that dropped it. After 15 seconds it goes neutral and either team can pick it up.

I had not worked on it since the intel was updated for custom model support but I'm back on the job as of today. I'd give you my entity setup but I need to make some changes to incorporate the custom model support that was added. In the current form it uses a lot of parenting and skin changes to pull off the effect.