Glass.Break
{
  channel  CHAN_AUTO
  volume  VOL_NORM
  pitch  PITCH_NORM
  soundlevel SNDLVL_NORM
  wave  "sonic sounds/capsule.wav"
}

I'm asking because I'm replacing this one glass object (which breaks with the "Breakable.Glass" sound) with another glass object (which breaks with the "Glass.Break" sound) so I figured if I rename which sound to replace in the soundscript it would play the sound for the replacement breaking object just as well as it did for before.

But now it's just silent when it breaks. Neither Glass.Break or capsule.wav when it breaks, just silently vanishes.
But it works for the old glass object when I switch it back to Breakable.Glass.

Am I labeling something wrong or overlooking something?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Are you sure it's not just super quiet? TF2 tends to play sounds a lot quieter than they should be.

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
That has happened before with a past sound but I checked the best I could with this one. (my brother is sleeping in the next room over so turning the volume up pas 20 was a bit risky.)

What I do know is that when I play Glass.Break or capsule.wav as an ambient_generic it sounds fine, if anything a bit quiet indeed but you can still hear it. So if anything using a soundscript to replace a sound default in the game would make it even more audible. But I can't hear anything.

Edit: I also checked the other three sounds on the script, they work fine, it's just glass.break.

Last edited:

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
So if it's just Breakable.Glass, it works for the old thing I'm replacing.
If it's just Glass.Break, it's silent for the new thing I'm replacing it with.

But if I have both...
Code:
Breakable.Glass
{
  channel  CHAN_AUTO
  volume  VOL_NORM
  pitch  PITCH_NORM
  soundlevel SNDLVL_NORM
}

Glass.Break
{
  channel  CHAN_AUTO
  volume  VOL_NORM
  pitch  PITCH_NORM
  soundlevel SNDLVL_NORM
}
...than just one or the other, it fixes it.

Okay then... I guess...

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
I'm sorry to triple post, bump and unretire a thread, but the same problem is happening again.

For some reason my map gets confused between the sounds "Breakable.Glass" and "Glass.Break" which I wish to replace in my soundscript.
The problem started when I began replacing my brush-made item boxes (which made the B.G noise when break) with actual models (that make the G.B noise when break.) For some reason the soundscript or the map could not tolerate one or the other to be replaced and would silence G.B whenever I break one of the new item boxes. I eventually found that the only solution was to include both B.G and G.B on the soundscript and this sorted it for the time being.

Well today I made a break-through in finishing off the item boxes triggers and I finally replaced the brush-made item boxes leaving the G.B sounding item boxes, but once again they break silently instead of the capsule.wav I assigned it to.

If what I'm addressing is a genuine error and that no one can help me, should I simply leave the G.B on the soundscript and use an ambiance_generic to make the sound in it's absence? Or is there a way to fix the soundscript?