Sidewalks

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

ThrowingPie

L1: Registered
Apr 6, 2014
I am currently working on a urban styled map and I can't make a good sidewalk:

Here is what I currently have, the edge is the problem, its made of func_detail blocks that were angled with the vertex tool. but after I save it and come back the vertexes are all messed up. It looked worse before, then I tried to fix it.
hammer2014-06-1009-12-26-53_zps0744e712.png

hammer2014-06-1009-11-50-43_zpsd4f3bae3.png

I was wondering is there a easier and more consistent way to do this. OR like in kong king have them made out of props. (I can't make props so I would have to ask someone to make them)

The straight parts are fine just the curve is giving me trouble, and only the edge

ManBeaR

L2: Junior Member
Apr 20, 2014
Man, that happend to me in koth_likeable, and it was really frustrating. I just remade that part so I didn't have to deal with it, but making it with the arching tool is probably a good idea.

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
You have probably accidentally created some invalid solids when you vertex edited the edge. Remember to press alt + p after you have vertex edited complicated shapes to check for invalid solids.

My suggestion would be to make the curve out of two arches (an inner arch and an outer) like this:
GBvaYPI.png

Then clip the arches:
gtQU6Hj.png

And finally, select the vertices on the outer arch and pull them down to create a slope.
aJ2slaE.png

You should get something like this:
0gSF3tX.png

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Pretty sure that approach will still get you invalid brushes. Plus, at any reasonable lightmap scale, they won't end up looking rounded off, just clipped.

FYI, I checked out the sidewalks in Koth King when I was making my own sidewalks, and it turned out the edges are models. So if you want them to turn out like that, you'll have to find somebody to make you some models. You should probably hold off on something that detailed until beta anyway.

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You can reduce the chances for invalid brushes by breaking it up into more brushes.. that is instead of trying to make both the horizontal and vertical part of the curb a single brush, make it two brushes. One brush is the top flat part of the curb, and the other is the vertical piece.

I've done curbs this way and it works well.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I wouldn't bother clipping the edges; use the arch tool and leave them as they are. That or use King models.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
For Ventus I just vertexed editing them into a rough curve shape. Never had any issue with invalid solids at all, but mine is just square.
I just did it like this:

01.jpg

02.jpg

It's too small to worry about the actual detail of curving the shape IMO.

If you need the chamfered edge, I'd say definitely do it with models.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I wouldn't bother clipping the edges; use the arch tool and leave them as they are. That or use King models.
Sadly, the Kong King ones are all a single model, so that only works if you have a very specific arrangement of streets.