Should there be setup times in CTF?

TheYagich

L1: Registered
May 27, 2015
Basically, the question is in the name. If it should though, what optimal values would you suggest?

Anreol

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2015
Usually,CTF maps don't have setup...
Do what you want

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Setup times usually let defenses build themselves up in a "safe" timeframe that they normally wouldn't have. CTF already has a built-in time for this (how long it takes for the enemy to reach your flag), and most CTF maps already suffer from defense being too strong. However, a different CTF map might actually benefit from a stronger defense, so a setup time could be a good idea in that case.

In other words: For most existing CTF maps, no. For new CTF maps, maybe no, maybe yes. Probably no.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I agree with Idolon.

If you play ctf_turbine as an engineer you will find that there is enough time to erect a level 1 sentry and have it running by the time an enemy scout enters your intel room.

That makes the game more challenging for the defenders. If they find themselves vulnerable, then they will be encouraged to increase their defence.

What you do will depend on how you build your map and how you want it to be played. If you want to use a setup time, take the travel time in to account, as Ido says. Don't give too much otherwise you'll have three engineers in the intel room with level 3 sentries, and then the enemy offence will depend heavily on a medic push, and it takes a long time for a team composed of average casual players to come together like that.

TheYagich

May 27, 2015
Okay, thanks everyone for your replies, I see now that in my map, I shouldn't do setup times as it would be too unbalacing for both BLU and RED teams, so I decided to go with none.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
You did raise an interesting idea though. Given the proper layout of a ctf map, say the intel is closer to the center of the map and not behind the enemy spawn, I could see a setup time having use. It'd be strange and different, but that's not a bad thing.

TheYagich

May 27, 2015
You did raise an interesting idea though. Given the proper layout of a ctf map, say the intel is closer to the center of the map and not behind the enemy spawn, I could see a setup time having use. It'd be strange and different, but that's not a bad thing.

That would better make sense for A/D CTF map. :unsure:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Or do it the other way around: the intel area becomes unlocked after, lets say 30 seconds so the other team has time to get to the enemy base and get set up. Makes camping the intel with sentry guns a lot harder since you already have an enemy presence.

TheYagich

May 27, 2015
Or do it the other way around: the intel area becomes unlocked after, lets say 30 seconds so the other team has time to get to the enemy base and get set up. Makes camping the intel with sentry guns a lot harder since you already have an enemy presence.

I will take a note of that, thanks.