shockwave (name undecided)

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Gerbil, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    shockwave

HAY GUISE THIS IS STILL ALIVE.

I've been working on this map for a few months now and it finally got to a decent beta! Hooray! The map is fit for small amounts of players, but it can work with larger amounts too (8v8, 9v9 etc). Rounds will go by quickly, but that doesn't mean the fights won't be fun!

I've attempted to make the map more unique by bombarding it with custom content and awkward geometry. I really hope this turns out well.

Major thanks to:

- Acumen, for all his proppy work.
    - The swamp team, great textures/models.
    - The artpass contest. For inspiring me to continue this heap of crap.
    - Anyone that gave me feedback/didn't quit when this map showed up as the next map on the server!
    - Nineaxis, for providing me with an excuse to detail less with his density of detail article.

I'm hoping this beta will be fun to play, and nicer to look at. since the last beta was boring as hell. This is also custom texture practice for me (custom skybox, doors, poster and nothing more!)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Bizarre architecture on the middle building there.

3. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    True, true. I'll probably make something different later on or make it less bizarre. Anything about the gameplay? :p

4. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I thought it was just great overall. I didn't check, but can you do a regular jump from the cliff to the platform with the health? If not, make sure you can, just for the sake of streamlining it a bit.

I don't really have any other comments... Just finish it. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    Will do! :D

I'm not sure if you can actually do that, but I'll make it possible if it isn't.

6. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    You have really weird architecture and the overall design is weird but it does look pretty cool.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jakkarra

Jakkarra L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    When i was playtesting this with you yesterday, i noticed that this map plays very well as an area map, i usually don't like arena maps, and this thing changed that, the layout gives ample opportunities for most classes, bar the sniper, he dosent have many sight ranges, but that's good in an arena map.

I would suggest, as i did yesterday, that you place a little more cover on the side furthest from the elevator, maybe just a little building or something, it's a fairly open and boring area as-is, though it still played very well, it may just want detailing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I found this map to be very small, and the catwalk stairs were particularly awkward to traverse with their 180 turns onto a narrow nuetral battlements. A lot of "turn the corner and kiss another player" moments. I think i even scared one of my own team off the structure and into the bottomless pit on one occasion.

You should make the area around the central building more interesting. Expanding and introducing more areas (but not loads) for players to take cover and flank from. The more players played this map and got to know it, the more they tended to avoid the lower ground. Health and ammo in some places should create a more even player traffic throughout your map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    Just double posting so you can see this new image i'll throw up for you (i have no idea when the next time you check this thread will be):

[​IMG]

I did notice your health was respawning, which is not regular arena mechanics. If you sort it out, it's often common to only intoduce one health kit (if at all). So consider this change.

edit: and consider:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  10. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    What? Healthkits do respawn in arena, don't they? I don't want to be full of it and look like an idiot if I'm wrong, but I don't see a reason as to why they shouldn't.

Although I do agree that two healthkits next to each other is probably too much.

11. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    Well, go play soldier on lumberyard. self damage, then pick up the health kit.

The point of arena is that it's "all in" style gameplay. You die and don't respawn, there is no health (or one) and it doesn't respawn. You could probably look it up on the net, even.

12. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure the health kit in lumberyard does respawn :p

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take it into consideration :D

13. grazr

Positive Ratings:
    I just seem to remember a bunch of us in the chatroom after the heavy class release, going "OMG how have they got a non-respawning health kit!!". Establishing it was a part of the FGD the community didn't have yet or some such thing.

If they do respawn... maybe that's a new feature :/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  14. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    I've extended the area near the death pit by a few units and added some minor cover. I'm thinking about moving the health kits near the death pit on the outside and maybe turning them into 1. Or should I split them in to 2 different areas?

Progress pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    Sweeeet now it makes a lot more sense! And I like your detailing!
    I'd love to play it again now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    Impromptu test bump! :D

18. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Did you ever find out about the healthkit mystery?

20. Gerbil

aa Gerbil

Positive Ratings:
    I never checked. But a respawning small health kit won't be much of an issue.

Also I'm pretty sure health kits respawn in arena.