Shinobi

CP Shinobi A4

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Shinobi - You're stranded with a map maker... And Japanese buildings.

View attachment 12597
My first shot at map making. Shinobi is a 5cp set in a dark Japanese theme. The layout size is between small to medium, while still balancing stuff regarding the control points.

Like Heavies get a fair walk, Scouts can't backcap so easily (same for Spies basically), as the last cap is on a corner a few meters from the spawns.

Jump classes get their minute of fame as last and second suits them very well (even though it limits them from the objective).

All Black wall textures mean either death pit or middle building.

Credits:
Lain for helping with the compiling issues.
Freyja and EArkham for the Japanese Pack.
And of course, ABS for their great and useful prefabs.

And here's some pics I've managed to shove out.
View attachment 12599 View attachment 12598 View attachment 12600 View attachment 12601 View attachment 12602 View attachment 12603 View attachment 12604 View attachment 12605 View attachment 12606 View attachment 12607

Last edited:

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
The Version is called A1a, due to the compiling errors the previous map version caused.
Thanks to Lain, this was dealt with*

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
This is entirely too dark. You need to brighten this whole map up quite a bit.

The trick to making night-time maps is to make just the out-of-bounds areas dark, while keeping the gameplay spaces brightly lit (Pipeline and Doublecross do this very well). Though right now you can get away with just making the whole map bright, since this is early alpha where aesthetics are not a priority.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
This is entirely too dark. You need to brighten this whole map up quite a bit.

The trick to making night-time maps is to make just the out-of-bounds areas dark, while keeping the gameplay spaces brightly lit (Pipeline and Doublecross do this very well). Though right now you can get away with just making the whole map bright, since this is early alpha where aesthetics are not a priority.

Well, I've brightened up the "underground" corridors are little. Also the spawns are fine now. A1B is bound to come like in a few mins.

V

Valkyrie

As a quick point, cl_drawhud 0 will turn off the hud and I cant remember the command to hide your hand but it makes screenshots look better

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
-Improved dark areas like both spawns, underground corridors and the outside areas (2nd cap and courtyard).

-Fixed some player clip brushes.

2016-02-19_00015.jpg
2016-02-19_00014.jpg
2016-02-19_00016.jpg

Read the rest of this update entry...

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
As a quick point, cl_drawhud 0 will turn off the hud and I cant remember the command to hide your hand but it makes screenshots look better

Ah, thank you. I am looking towards to use this in further updates' shots.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Thank you for the feedback! I'm gonna start the major overhaul tomorrow.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
-Mid layout completely redone
-Added Forward Spawns (activated after mid has been capped)
-Increased cap timers to discourage backcapping and making it fair for defense
-Added a lot of pickups
-Fixed minor issues with somebrushes
-Hopefully managed to successfully pack custom content (First time packing stuff.)
2016-02-20_00001.jpg
2016-02-20_00002.jpg
2016-02-20_00003.jpg
2016-02-20_00004.jpg
2016-02-20_00005.jpg

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Mini update, kind of.

-Fixed small render issues with both sides
-Added minor texture detail to both sides
-Gravely reduced the amount of orange by specifying most of the team areas by their respective colours

Pics aren't really necessary, plus I'm a little lazy today.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
I'm a little mini disappointed that the map has only survived one playtest, however stuff has changed a lot as always...

-Added Tuk Tuks (because why not)
-Decreased height on the front walls on both sides (the ones on the right)
-Added an non-functional giant metal gate (door), which is just minor detail +
TUK TUK
-Redone mid cap (again, slightly oversized), inspired from Suijin, added 2nd level
-Added details, such as
t u k t u k
and Sakuras (because it's way cooler to say Sakura)
2016-02-22_00003.jpg
2016-02-22_00002.jpg
2016-02-22_00004.jpg

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Because Tuk Tuk's are Taiwanese, not Japanese.
Also, the map is still crazy overscaled and dark. You need to check your brightness settings and make sure they aren't' too high, because everyone else can't see shit on this level.
Plus, the 2nd forward spawn is facing the wrong way, leading players to their last point.
AND you need to pack custom textures/models into the BSP, since everyone else sees Purple/Black checkers and Error models.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
PLEASE pack your custom content correctly. As of A4 all your textures and models are still missing. Google is your best friend, but i'll link this thread anyway. To make sure it worked correctly on your end, set sv_pure 2 before loading your map

Also a few things:
  • Some of your walls are way too thin (esp. near mid and second point) and many of your brushes aren't lined up or touching each other. It looks like you were working on the one-hu grid size or something.
  • I haven't played your map enough to judge accurately, but removing the forwards spawns at second point is not the solution. Make them face the right way, don't just get rid of them. That will lead to mid being stalematey as hell.
  • Your forward spawns at mid are so high off the ground that you take fall damage coming out of them
  • Thanks for making the map brighter overall, but the shadowy areas are still too dark. You need light entities in those areas.

Last edited: