1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Shadow/Black spot problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Saint Mercy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Saint Mercy

Saint Mercy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've searched for a couple hours and could not find a solution to my problem.
    Problem:
    Black spots (which I presume to be shadows) are appearing on one side, and not the other. In addition these Black spots look absolutely horrid, and I cannot figure out how to fix them or get rid of them.
    Notes:
    My map is a completely inside map, which means you can't see the skybox. I do have a skybox though. I presume this might be the problem, which is fine but just annoying. The green circles are what the problem is, or where it would be.
    Screens:
    BLU Side (Problem side):
    [​IMG]
    RED Side (OK side):
    [​IMG]

2. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    A number of things could cause this--

*Blocks completely made out of a nodraw texture still draw shadows unless tied to certain entities (i.e. func_door)
    *Skybox materials that cross through to the normal stage will be invisible but can cause nasty shadows. It's as simple as moving it over a little bit.
    *Sometimes this can simply come up from poor lighting--adding some light inside there could easily fix things up.

3. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just figured I'd mention to not worry too much about shadows if you haven't done a full lighting compile.

Quick lighting can often look ugly in quite a few ways but that will go away with full light processing.

4. Saint Mercy

Saint Mercy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean by a full lighting compile?

5. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    When you compile your map, there are three phrases. The final phase, VRAD, it often the longest but does all your lighting. If the problem still occurs with a high-quality (i.e. slow) lighting compile, then it's of more concern.

BTW, for me your first image link is broken and won't appear.