SFM megathread

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
A little tip, export your vid as image sequence and put it with VirtualDUB togehter. With that Method Depth of Field will be added. (Normal Video export doesn't do that)

Actually on a similar note: the progressive refinement and depth of field only appear when you're in clip editor mode and not in motion editor or graph editor mode, so you can only preview the depth after you've done baked the motion. A little annoying, but good to know how to preview it properly.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Because I posted it there.
Only hindsight tells me TF2 Talk might be more appropriate

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
Because I posted it there.
Only hindsight tells me TF2 Talk might be more appropriate

15:52 - Turbo Lover: Out of curiosity, why's the SFM Megathread in the Mapping Discussion board
15:52 - Turbo Lover: Seems to make more sense in TF2 or Off-Topic
15:52 - Fr0z3n: I honestly didn't notice.
15:53 - Fr0z3n: Because I totally thought it was in off-topic, thats where it was when I first saw it.
15:53 - Fr0z3n: Eh, it's fine where it is.

Still looking at you, Fr0z3n.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The local copy that I have is brighter than what is uploaded to youtube? What is up with that.. now the transition scenes look completely black.
I think it's YouTube's fault. I remember Ross Scott used to say he had the same problem with Freeman's Mind — the copy he sent to Machinima was fine, but once they uploaded it to YouTube it would be too dark.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Just tried that, it appears to have absolutely no effect on the scene.

Maybe it's the bsp itself? Valve maps don't have any problems.. I wonder if it's the fog settings on stoneyridge or something that's doing it. Or maybe it's because that particular compile didn't have HDR lighting run.

Guess I'll have to experiment some more.

I am having the same issue with Hella and that doesn't have HDR either yet. I bet that is it then.

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
I came across this video made by someone. I apologize if it's been posted already, I haven't read through the entire thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLuKfMt8jA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

It's seriously the most brilliant* SFM video I've seen. I've watched it four times by now, and giggled out loud every time.
It's not nearly as advanced as some other SFM videos out there, and the part right at the beginning felt pretty pointless, but the it's an amazing example of the principle 'less is more'. Keep that in mind, guys. If you don't have the time and patience to make an epic sketch with Valve-quality body animations and a continuously clever plot, you can just make a video of silent, subtle face posing and it may end up being just as entertaining.

If you feel like doing something like that, try throwing in some grunts, sighs and/or laughs as well. I think those kinds of noises could improve it even more, and there are certainly a lot of great ones to pick from among the classes' voice responses.

* I haven't watched a lot of SFM videos.

Last edited: