Sewer Dave

SupSuper

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2009
This is my first map, nothing fancy, just a simple CTF. It started off as a random idea in another forum, and after lots of ideas and criticism being thrown around and playtests with friends, I figure it's about time I take it seriously and throw it onto a mapping community for the trashing it deserves. :)

This is still under development, thus why it's so bland and basic. I do plan on detailing it eventually and not make it into an orange map. But first I wanna get all the problems out of the way and make sure the design is solid, so I'm putting it here for all the criticism you can throw at it!

P.S. I'm aware there are no areaportal's or func_detail's for optimizing, I'm still learning how to best use these without any issues.

Last edited:

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
looks kinda nice actually, I like the lighting in the middle.

would like to see some real textures, would look cool.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Not too bad for a first map :)

I see you have a decent hold on vertex editing geometry from the bridge in the centre, so you should challenge yourself to make the main team coloured buildings look more interesting.

Also when you make windows, try to make them fairly large for TF2 so classes can jump out/in them and they don't benefit snipers too much.

A Noobcake

Jun 9, 2009
Looks MUCH better than my first map. MUCH. I'm looking forward to the final version :3

Peterm

Banned
Jun 1, 2009
Looks good real textures plz btw where's the spawnroom in screenshots???

More detailed overview plz

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
peterm!

USE THE EDIT BUTTON!

SupSuper

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for all the kind comments. Gee not even a bad word, I'm shocked. :p Looks like you have gamedays for testing out maps, so I'll try to get it added for the next one.

I hope the map will remain just as "good" when it's done, although it is my first map so I'm trying to keep it simple and not overwhelm myself.

Not too bad for a first map :)

I see you have a decent hold on vertex editing geometry from the bridge in the centre, so you should challenge yourself to make the main team coloured buildings look more interesting.

Also when you make windows, try to make them fairly large for TF2 so classes can jump out/in them and they don't benefit snipers too much.
Well I was focusing on design at the moment, but I'll give them a roof or something.

As for the windows, if you mean the current openings in the bases, yes they are big enough for classes to go through. I might add some solid windows for decor though.

Looks good real textures plz btw where's the spawnroom in screenshots???

More detailed overview plz
I thought people would try the map themselves to get a better idea, it's hard to get good screenshots. Well I've updated them so they have a bot in them (to get an idea of scale) and added descriptions to the overview, that should clear things up. :)

Overview more like this although i dont know how he did it

http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/3/4/7/9/KoTH_Map_Layout.jpg
He probably traced over a screenshot like mine and added all the little details and descriptions.

I guess I'll talk a bit about the concept of the map. It's a simple CTF with two bases connected by a bridge and a "sewer" (the water you see in screenshot #1) running under both bases.

Both bases are accessible by the doorway connected to the bridge (the one with the medic on screenshot #1) or through the sewers (screenshot #4). There's also a higher opening on the opposite side intended as a sniper balcony. But we can't let those snipers get the best of us, so it can be used as an entrance by any soldiers/demos that wanna get a jump on them. :p

The bridge is the main connection between both bases but is the most exposed, so the ground can be used for better cover and a more sneaky entrance through the sewers (there used to be a ground-level doorway but nobody used it so it was removed). You can also use them to quickly douse any pyro fire.

The base design isn't very imaginative but tries to avoid chokepoints by keeping everything easily inter-connected with lots of corners (and maybe later obstacles) for cover, with two spawn rooms with opposite entrances to reduce spawn camping. The intel (screenshot #2) can be reached from both sides, one higher than the other so you can't just get-in-get-out (you can reach it through double-jump though). There's also my favorite, the one-way chute right into the sewers (screenshot #5) which gives you a quick simple get-away, at the cost of the reduced mobility and vision from being underwater.

As for why the map is called Sewer Dave, you'll find out once it's done. ;)

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
Proportions are way off.

Huge gap between the bases with no cover.

Spawns are too far forward.

Paths are everywhere, confusing, bunch of one-way paths (Somewhat a no-no)

Too quick of an escape route from the intel

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
^ what Lord Ned said.

to elaborate:

It is very big, and outside I felt dwarfed and exposed. The water was just a pain, as it only comes up into mid and I was jumping down there to get away from mid.

about spawns, I like the 2 rooms, but they both look alike and can be a little confusing, come out of one and expect to be in a slightly diff. spot. No biggie though.
Don't really like how the paths to intel go right past spawn doors though, would be better to have more room/less hallway feel there.
Other than that, I don't mind the position, but I think coming out of spawn the first thing you should see is intel/exit signs.
I know there are some around, but I seemed to have to look for them.

One way paths can be good or bad. In this case the top one into the mid gives home base too much advantage and with the open mid it's too much. The whole water thing is frustrating, might be good to get out of base that way but sucks only getting up through mid.
Only one door into base makes it tough. Then in base the sightlines are long, need a bit more twist in paths or something.

Map doesn't have any tight spots for pyros.

Keep fine tuning it.