Sevin's tf_dev prop issue, compilepal, and general code confusion ;-;

Gatorix

L1: Registered
May 6, 2015
K. Here's the rundown:
I recently smoothed out any problems I've been having with sevin's custom content method because I like to be neat and tidy and yet, somethings just didn't work for me despite following the tutorial down to the letter. I used be caught in a neverending loop of hammer vs source engine errors fighting against each other where one wouldn't work if the other did.

That loop has been solved with independent compiles and the new tool, compilepal (u so cool!). However, a new problem has risen.

Using the japan props located in the tf_dev/content_packs/japan"etc etc etc" it would render in hammer, but not in tf2. There are no errors in the hammer compiler log and the compilepal compiler log.

I tried asking in the chat about my situation but the closest thing to a answer I got was, "Sevin/Tophatwaffle's organizing is obsolete in the face of compilepal's ability to pack everything into the map, without requiring you to organize the tf/custom folder.

The verdict comes down; should I just get rid of the tf_dev folder (or keep it for organizing content without it interacting with hammer or tf2)? Or is there some way to fix this while keeping the tf_folder the way it was intended?
I'm doubting my understanding of how compilepal works. Does it pack custom content into the bsp itself? If it does, how come it can't read the tf_dev file and pack the props from the pack?

I really want an indepth tutorial for compilepal, custom content subfolder organizing, and custom content packing in layman's terms... But just a solid answer would be fine because i'm hysterical right now ;-;

edit: temporary fix- move content packs into custom folder. But this is not how I want all my custom content to be.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
if you've gone into "PACK" and ticked the "run on compile" checkbox, compilepal has put everything it could find into the bsp. I haven't looked in depths at having your assets in a seperate folder but if it's using an other gameinfo.txt, it's possible that compilepal is not finding the content.

Gatorix

L1: Registered
May 6, 2015
Thanks I didn't even notice the pack option. Infact, I posted this question within having compilepal for ~10 minutes. I'll try this out.