Setting up beneath water.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by invertMASA, Jan 21, 2015.

1. invertMASA

invertMASA L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have been trying forever to get when your under water to look right, As of now mine just looks normal but when your swimming its looks clear, and you take no dmg. I see there is a water beneath texture, and I have done everything I can think of with it to get it to work. But no luck. I know im going to feel dumb here soon. lol

*EDITED kinda left some important words out lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I don't really understand what you exact problem is.... but if it's that your water isn't visible correctly, then you either have a leak or are using a water texture with "_beneath" in its name. Don't use this textures.

3. DeOntwerper

DeOntwerper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Only the top side of the water needs to be textured.

4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, but the VMF file for the water that has the top side of the water textured needs to have a different texture specified so the engine can render the underlying surface texture. If that's not done the look underwater would be the same as if the player was above the water. It's like jumping into a murky lake on a clear day and expecting the visibility under the water surface to be the same as if you are still above the water surface.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    That doesn't change the fact that when making water you should start out with a nodraw brush then apply a normal (no _beneath, no _dx80, etc) texture to the top face only tho

6. invertMASA

Positive Ratings:
    I always use nodraw for the first texture on anything. I checked the textures I used and none say that in it. And they are boxed in...

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'm still confused what you're doing. Are you making a map where everyone and everything is underwater, but everyone can breathe?

8. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    If that's the case the nodraw brush doesn't extend to all the way down to the ground. Even a tiny gap between the water and the ground surface will render the water useless, eq you don't drown, sounds aren't muffled, etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. invertMASA

Positive Ratings:
    Alrighty, Looks like I need to go over all my water with a fine comb and find the leak.

Thank you guys