setting up a temp sever, a good map promotion idea?

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
I have an idea. Instead of wasting a night on achievement idle (I do that every once in a while, so what) I am thinking of setting up a listen server. For those of you that dont know, its a server created when you use that "create server" button. It will run my map without time limit, while I spectate.

Do you think this would be a decent way to get some map feedback.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Im not sure, do those servers even appear in the server browser? And if yes, they will probably have some bad default name, which youd better change. Maybe making a dedicated server and join on it yourself?

Another point is, that there wont be so many people online at night, and it always depends on your internet connection and pc power.

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
Im not sure, do those servers even appear in the server browser? And if yes, they will probably have some bad default name, which youd better change. Maybe making a dedicated server and join on it yourself?

Another point is, that there wont be so many people online at night, and it always depends on your internet connection and pc power.

Yeah, using a dedicated server is indeed a better idea.
I live in europe, so When I sleep, the US is playing. (I have a good internet connection)

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I think your problem is mroe getting people to join. People won't join an empty server, and I certainly wouldn't stick around if there was only one person on-and they were speccing.

The best thing to do is try and populate the server and hour or two before you leave. Once you have around 10-20 people, you leaving (or speccing) shouldn't effect them much.

EDIT: I can add that server to favs, but it doesn't show up in my list (might be my server browsing-often acts up)