Setting up a server with custom textures

TravisTouchdown

L2: Junior Member
Apr 15, 2013
After a 2 month absence with computer trouble I come back to the steam pipe

Here is the thing. I have at least 4 maps on the 2 servers that I run that require texture downloads for players to be able to play them without seeing a purple checkerboard instead of the texture.

My question is, how do I setup the server now to download textures to players who come to the server for the custom maps?

Don't say to use a packing program either. I have tried that and the maps have crashed TF 2 for half my server regulars.

TravisTouchdown

Apr 15, 2013
Use a packing program... correctly?

That's just how it works. You need to pack the textures into the map's bsp file directly.

Then tell me which one you use and then you tell me how to do it. I have used packrat and VIDE and packbsp

It turns out the same thing. The map works for me but no one else can see the textures. When I send them the bsp file after I packed all the textures into it, they say that it crashes the tf 2 client

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Pakrat ought to do the trick just fine. Here's my process

Open bsp in pakrat
Hit Auto
Hit Add and manually find any model textures since pakrat always misses them
Allow it to fix up the file names for everything I add
Hit Save
Done.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Sounds like too much work that can't be automated. I prefer the list file, that's easy to automate.

TravisTouchdown

Apr 15, 2013
Yes

I am using vide now and it works great. I also find that use the batch compiler program for making the map works awesome. The file size goes up a bit but someone taught me how to make BZ2 files for the map on the server.

Thank you all for your input. IF you all are into MVM, would you all come to my server when I get it uploaded and play it with me sometime?