Server editting MvM popfiles without permission

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
So in the Facepunch thread Mann vs Machine Custom Mission Megathread I ran into a few people running an MvM server with some custom MvM maps on it, and when I decided to join, I was greeted to joining mvm_sludge_kf2 where they had completely editted the .pop.

So naturally, I stated my beef and the guys who ran the server were playing too, and long story short turned out to be complete arseholes who told me that A) They've been doing this for a lot of maps, B) They aren't going to stop, and C) If I don't like it that I have to deal with it, in a none too polite way.

The maps that are already in the process of being editted or have already been editted are:
Sludge
Maelstrom
Ventus
Memorial
Plateau
Destruct
Gateway
Manndarin
Degroot Keep
Badwater

And who knows how many more in future. I'd personally recommend to avoid the server entirely, but if you want to see the damage yourself, their IP is 46.165.232.212:27025.

I feel I should make clear, I heard about this server modifying .pop files, I joined on mvm_sludge and wasn't happy with what they had done and the fact they did it without permission, the guys running the show acted like dicks, other maps were being modified too, so I came to Seba and asked him what I ought to do. Hence this thread.

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I don't really have a problem with this, for my maps. I mean, the beauty of the popfile is you can run many different missions on a single map. If people want to put the time in to design (far better) pop files for my map, then they like the map and want to make it better. All the power to them. I just hope they don't spawn the tank on the wrong path and crash the map.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
I don't really see a problem with it either, as the filenames will alert people that it's
not the official versions (hopefully). It would have been nice if they had let us know tho :c

I also feel like i know too little right now tho. Let's have a chat about it later, shall we?

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
IMO custom popfiles are fine, it's just messing around with bots on an established map. Modifying the map itself and creating a new version without the author(s)'s permission is what really ticks me off. You don't have to make a new version of a map to make it use a custom popfile :l

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I don't really care.

Anyone who can decompile and recompile ventus and get it to actually work deserves it.

Turbo Lover

aa
Feb 15, 2011
Set up a hundred tank paths, 99% of which crash the map. Name them all random strings of letters. See how much they fuck with the popfiles after that.

They're already using the .pop included with the map as a springboard to create something awful, they'd only copy the name of the tank paths used in the .pop there.

While I'm here, I'm kind of disappointed the other people who had maps messed with are brushing this off so easily, it seems like you guys don't care because "It's just a .pop" or that I'm not explaining what these guys are doing that's so horrible well enough.

Last edited:

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
I view the pop and the bsp as two separate things that play together. Allowing people to build different map/mission compositions will allow for so much more fun than strictly trying to lock the two together.

Only thing i could potentially view as inappropriate is if they have altered the original pop file without permission.

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
...it seems like you guys don't care because "It's just a .pop" or that I'm not explaining what these guys are doing that's so horrible well enough.

If its limited to their server I can see it being fine. But if they are re-uploading the map elsewhere with their modified .pop file and claiming to be the author of both, I can see it being a problem (unless they have permission from the author to do this).

I don't think there really is anything you can do to prevent people from downloading and editing a .pop file once its on the internet, or any file for that matter.

Last edited:

Turbo Lover

aa
Feb 15, 2011
Only thing i could potentially view as inappropriate is if they have altered the original pop file without permission.

Well this probably means I didn't explain it very well. That's what they're doing, and Doom, sure they have their own idea of an entertaining game of MvM but when I saw that "Bedroom Lurkers from the Crypt" and "Eddie Riggs" were a few additions and they had used my .pop as a base, and then recompiled Sludge with a new version instead of switching via said console command, it's not cool.

Not even counting how they were immature dicks about when I asked them to not do it anymore.