Server.cfg help request

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by 404UNF, Oct 21, 2011.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    Proper server.cfg setups for KOTH/CP-only servers?

Ok, so I have 4 servers:

1. Achievement/Idle/Trade

• About: Your basic achievement/idle/trade server.
    • IP: 205.204.75.195:27016
    • Map: achievement_idle_spytech (made by me)

2. 2009 Halloween Event

• About: Will be 24/7 for the entire duration of this years Halloween event.
    • IP: 205.204.75.195:27017
    • Map: koth_harvest_event

3. 2010 Halloween Event

• About: Will be 24/7 for the entire duration of this years Halloween event. Will be sv_pure 1, to prevent invisible wall-cheating and other kinds of cheating. Will be running SourceMod Anti-Cheat to prevent other kinds of cheating.
    • IP: 205.204.75.195:27018
    • Map: cp_manor_event

4. 2011 Halloween Event

• About: Will be in use for the 2011 Halloween Event
    • IP: 205.204.75.195:27019
    • Map: Whatever the new map is.

I need some suggestions for how to set up the various gameplay-related CVARs for Server 2 and 3 (2009 H'ween Event and 2010 H'ween Event).

There won't be any map cycling on either server, and they both will be 24/7. Admins (of my choosing) will not have access to noclip/slay/slap/teleporting/timebomb/firebomb/freeze/etc, to keep things fair. Admins will however be able to use a Horsemann spawning SourceMod plugin on Server 3 to spawn the Horsemann when things get slow.

But I'm hoping that someone here has knowledge on some excellent KOTH and CP server.cfg setups, and if anyone can help me figure out some good values for the CVARs.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. waxpax

waxpax L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Set the time limit for something like 45 min a map. If people get bored or want to farm on the other map for the hats/metal, just let them have rtv or something.

3. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for that bit of info. I just went and re-tooled the main post to divulge a bit more information, and to change some things around, so you may want to re-read it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  4. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure the map rotations only ever what you want it to be.
    If you go on to the Team Fortress 2 stats webite (Google it) it'll tell you the most popular maps and I advise you use these for your A/T/I server

5. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Lol, no. I'm using the map I created specifically for idling. I meant to add a bunch of crap to it for achievements, but I never got around to it.

I've since started making a brand spanking new map for the A/T/I server which is a huge upgrade of achievement_idle_spytech (which I made).

EDIT: Nevermind, decided to go with no respawn time on both servers. I also switched off mp_forceautoteam, and set sv_pure to 1 on the cp_manor_event server. I set mp_timelimit to 0 on both servers, but I don't know if that'll actually do anything.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. waxpax

waxpax L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Don't set timelimit to 0, that will keep it on the map forever but you don't want to do that because the server will eventually lag and perform poorly. Just change your map rotation file to have one map, put the time limit at like 2 hrs or something since most servers only really get jittery after like half a day. Unless you plan on restarting the server every day or so or manually changing the map every once in a while.