Serious hammer problem when saving!

PingWIN7

L1: Registered
Jan 21, 2011
Well my main problem with the hammer map editor is when i want to save my map it's seems the hammer save something different, because when i saved the map for example i placed a small edge near the wall but after loading the map the edge got moved or deformed or both by the hammer. This is a very old problem for me (it forced me some years ago to trash some of my mapping project) but it's seems it's still in hammer :\ First time when i saw this problem on my previous computer i suspected this problem to the memory but it's seems thats not the problem because i've got the same issue on this computer aswell.

PingWIN7

Jan 21, 2011
It's seems when i load my maps it's says it couldn't load the invalid solids so yea it is invalid solids but why is it invalid?

Bockagon

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2009
Invalid solids are usually the result of vertex editing, they occur when not every face of a brush is convex. Your best bet would be to remake whatever became invalid.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
If you made invalid solids with the vertexedit tool, your best bet is to stick to Clip for now.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The parts of the map that are disappearing are invalid solids and therefore are, as you may expect, deleted.

If you vertex edit things, make sure you are precise and careful and think about the shape you are creating in three dimensions. Make sure when you edit something like a cylinder that you make the points space equally apart, or it could easily become invalid. There's all sorts of reasons.

That's your problem. Less Hammer's fault, more your fault. But that's okay.

Remember to google your error messages next time. :]

Last edited by a moderator:

PingWIN7

Jan 21, 2011
I did googled the error messages but it mostly gave me some unusuable information and no solution. It must be a convex (most of the time because i've already met when i did a convex but it became an invalid solid) so at the moment im making my map with full of blocks as a preview for my map and then i'll try to smooth the map :) Maybe when I'm done with playing blocks i'll be able to make a nice field\map without these blocks :)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Don't carve is a good rule.

It sounds like you may be trying to make bumpy terrain without using displacements, which is at best ill advised? If not ignore this I guess.

PingWIN7

Jan 21, 2011
Well to be honest at the moment im doing something like a spiral but i can't really curve it at the moment

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Cut each brush into triangles. They can't be invalid, so they should make your spiral a bit easier to form.