$selfillum

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ExplosiveDeer, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ExplosiveDeer

ExplosiveDeer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    (Heads up! I have not fully embraced myself with the ways of compiling [a. quickly b. fully] if someone has a comprehensive compiling tutorial they could redirect me to, this might solve my problem)

$selfillum does not appear to be rendering fully? To my understanding a default named 'lights.rad' must be in the teamfortress/tf/<-- correct?

I am using default compile settings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It does give off light, but the surface of the texture itself is not ignoring shadow:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "tfdb_orange_arena/simple_white"
        "$surfaceprop" "Default"
        "$selfillum" "1"
        "$selfillumtint" "[1 1 1]"
    }

Thanks ;)

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Check out this page's header - https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Glowing_Textures

The selfillum, as far as I understand it, only seems to work on model materials. For brush materials you can do what it says to use minimum light level on a func_brush, or alternatively use the "UnlitGeneric" shader instead of "LightmappedGeneric" which forces the material to be fullbright (no lighting).

3. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Selfillum requires a mask to work. It doesn't have to be on models.
    The mask is the alpha channel of the basetexture by default. If you need the alpha channel for other purposes, you can specifiy a seperate mask using $selfillummask <texture>.

4. ExplosiveDeer

ExplosiveDeer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, that solved it! The light was a func_brush set to non-solid state, changing the property to use minimum light level worked :)

[​IMG]